cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mainline yocto on IMX53

woutervh
Contributor IV

Hello all,

I want to do some tests with the mainline yocto (poky) with the meta-arm-fsl layers. I want to make use of the latest mainline kernel. But I can't make it to start an X-server. How do I change the bsp to boot the latest kernel (3.11)

It says "no screens found". Does somebody knows a tutorial  or something for an IMX53 to build a screen-enabled system? (say a imx53qsb)

I'm using the "bitbake core-image-web-kiosk" app

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Wouter

This discussion is closed since no activity. If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this discussion, or create another discussion.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Just looked at the imx53-qsb.dts from 3.11 and the only display option available there is the parallel display (you still need to pass status = "okay").

TVE can be supported with this patch:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg272592.html

and LVDS can also be supported as well (see imx6qdl-sabresd.dts for a reference)

0 Kudos

woutervh
Contributor IV

Yes, but I'm trying to do a parallel display (custom FPGA implementation).

But the thing is that I don't know what to change to pick the latest kernel in stead of  the BSP one (2.6.35).

When I use my own build 3.10 now, with the rootfs from yocto, it wants to use the fb for xorg, where I think I need to have the DRI version? Because In 3.10 it uses an emulated "/dev/fb0"...

Or am I seeing it incorrectly?

0 Kudos

woutervh
Contributor IV

I added:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-fslc" to my local.conf, but get an error on xorg-driver:

In file included from /opt/git/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/imx53qsb/usr/src/kernel/include/linux/kgdb.h:16:0,

|                  from /opt/git/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/imx53qsb/usr/src/kernel/include/linux/fb.h:4,

|                  from /opt/git/poky/build/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/xf86-video-imxfb/11.09.01-r12/xserver-xorg-video-imx-11.09.01/src/imx_display.c:33:

| /opt/git/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/imx53qsb/usr/src/kernel/include/linux/linkage.h:7:25: fatal error: asm/linkage.h: No such file or directory

|  #include <asm/linkage.h>

|                          ^

| compilation terminated.

| make[2]: *** [imx_display.lo] Error 1

| make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/git/poky/build/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/xf86-video-imxfb/11.09.01-r12/build/src'

| make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

| make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/git/poky/build/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/xf86-video-imxfb/11.09.01-r12/build'

| make: *** [all] Error 2

| ERROR: oe_runmake failed

| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /opt/git/poky/build/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/xf86-video-imxfb/11.09.01-r12/temp/log.do_compile.32086)

ERROR: Task 2827 (/opt/git/poky/meta-fsl-arm/recipes-graphics/xorg-driver/xf86-video-imxfb_11.09.01.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

0 Kudos

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Wouter

Had your issue got resolved? If yes, we are going to close the discussion in 3 days. If you still need help please feel

free to contact Freescale.

Thanks,
Yixing

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

Hi Wouter,

Could you subscribe and send this to meta-freescale mailing list[1]?

This way we can deal with this at the Yocto mailing list and more people can profit from your question  there.

1. https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/meta-freescale

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, please, report the error on maillist. I think, at end, we will need to rise a bug.

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What image are you bitbaking?

0 Kudos

woutervh
Contributor IV

core-image-web-kiosk

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Parallel display works fine. It is disabled by default, but you can enable it by doing:

--- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx53-qsb.dts

+++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx53-qsb.dts

@@ -27,7 +27,7 @@

interface-pix-fmt = "rgb565";

pinctrl-names = "default";

pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_ipu_disp0_1>;

-               status = "disabled";

+               status = "okay";

display-timings {

claawvga {

native-mode;

,then just adapt the timings as per your display specs and you should be able to see a nice little penguin on it ;-)

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I don´t understand exactly what you want.

In order to use linux from kernel.org (linux mainline) instead of the one from Freescale site (2.6.35) please add on your local.conf:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-fslc"

Please, let me know if this is what you´ve been looking for :smileywink: (or if you need something else)

woutervh
Contributor IV

That worked for having the latest kernel. However I'm facing this error (see below)

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

Hello Fabio, any patch we can backport to linux-fslc kernel?

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Let's wait for the patch to reach linux-next first.

0 Kudos