MX8EVK no_hdmi requires HDMI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX8EVK no_hdmi requires HDMI

rmack1
Contributor II

Why does the imx-boot-imx8mqevk-sd.bin-flash_evk_no_hdmi still look for HDMI?

I have a board that is more or less a clone of the EVK but does not implement HDMI. I am not surprised (but disappointed) that the "normal" uBoot stalls and waits forever for HDMI to be present so the system never actually boots. I found the "no_hdmi" version of uBoot and reasonably expected that version to ignore HDMI. Boy, was I wrong. It does exactly the same thing. It finds no panel connected and switches to HDMI at 1280x720.

Why does that happen? What does "no_hdmi" in the mane really mean in this case?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

rmack1
Contributor II

Felix:

It seems strange that the "no_hdmi" version would not load the HDMI firmware to the ROM and then happily try to connect to the HDMI hardware. Is there a switch somewhere that doesn't get handled correctly? I will read the document you pointed me to. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Could you tell me which version of BSP are you using? Here if you do not use the HDMI output, which screen and output are you using? If you want to change to another screen output, the dtb file also need to be modified.
Have a great day,
Rita

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

rmack1
Contributor II

Rita:

I am using uBoot images directly out of the Rev 2 MfgTool L4.9.88_2.0.0. I am using the "with rootfs" branch, but I have tried the "no rootfs" version as well with the same results.

I am trying to stop right at uBoot so I can basically peek and poke around the system before I load the operating system. The only "display" I want and need is the UART1 uBoot serial console. From what I see in Felix's response below, it looks like I have no real recourse other than to build my own uBoot. I was hoping to avoid doing that right this minute, but it will have to be done sooner or later. I really just want to be sure my LPDDR, eMMC, and Ethernet are up and running and uBoot can do that all by itself if it wasn't hanging right after the line where it seems to want to find HDMI hardware to configure to 1280x720.

Thanks.

Ray

0 Kudos