Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCIMXHDMICARD

Jump to solution
DanielePagani
Contributor II

Dear sirs,

I'm newbie and I'm using iMX53 Quick Start Board and I bought MCIMXHDMICARD.

I'm using iMX53 SQB UBUNTU SD DEMO IMAGE from Freescale.

Everything work fine with VGA monitor (without HDMI card).

Then, if I install the HDMI card I don't see anything to HDMI monitor, but I can yet use VGA monitor.

Do I need to change u-boot variable? Is it possible using something like fw_printenv?

Where can I find documentation about the matter?

Best regards,

Daniele.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jpuckett
Contributor III

Freescale's kernel defines two arguments that determine which display interface (DI) to use: di0_primary and di1_primary.  The VGA connector is hooked up to DI1 and the HDMI to DI0.

The U-Boot environment on my Ubuntu SD card has these values in it:

hdmi=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,1024x768M@60 hdmi di0_primary

vga=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 video=mxcdi1fb:GBR24,VGA-XGA di1_primary vga

The bootargs_base variable is set by default to use the vga settings:

bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 gpu_nommu ${vga}

Change this to use the hdmi settings by running these commands in U-Boot from a clean boot:

setenv bootargs_base 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 gpu_nommu ${hdmi}'

saveenv

boot

Make sure you do this from a clean boot or you risk saving environment variables that have been modified by the boot process.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jpuckett
Contributor III

Based on section 45.4.6.2 in the reference manual it sounds like it would be possible.  I'm not familiar with gplay or tweaking the graphics settings for Xserver so can't say what would be involved in getting this to happen.

Read through chapter 45 in the i.MX53 reference manual and have a look at the bottom of page 1-9 in the IPUV3 library documentation (imx5x_IPU_LIB_UG.pdf).

0 Kudos
DanielePagani
Contributor II

Ok, thank you,

and if I understand it is not possible having Xserver (Desktop) on VGA and in the same time having a video playing on HDMI (by gplay).

Is it right?

Daniele.

0 Kudos
jpuckett
Contributor III

Freescale's kernel defines two arguments that determine which display interface (DI) to use: di0_primary and di1_primary.  The VGA connector is hooked up to DI1 and the HDMI to DI0.

The U-Boot environment on my Ubuntu SD card has these values in it:

hdmi=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,1024x768M@60 hdmi di0_primary

vga=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 video=mxcdi1fb:GBR24,VGA-XGA di1_primary vga

The bootargs_base variable is set by default to use the vga settings:

bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 gpu_nommu ${vga}

Change this to use the hdmi settings by running these commands in U-Boot from a clean boot:

setenv bootargs_base 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 gpu_nommu ${hdmi}'

saveenv

boot

Make sure you do this from a clean boot or you risk saving environment variables that have been modified by the boot process.

0 Kudos