Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCIMX6S5DVM10AB EOL in 2020

Jump to solution
vasjakutin
Contributor I

Hi,

i noticed that MCIMX6S5DVM10AB is going EOL in 2020. One possible alternative would be MCIMX6S8DVM10AD, but I can't find a detailed comparison between them. For instance, does the S8 have same peripheral that S5 have? I don't mind if there is something added in the S8. Will there a porting of drivers be needed?

I could find is that MCIMX6S8DVM10AD has a new silicon revision and additional EPDC.

Simple question would be what this alternative means for the SW PoV and what for the HW PoV. Or is there any other alternative to MCIMX6S5DVM10AB which would add little to no extra work for the transition.

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks in advance for any help,

Vasja

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Vasja,

You may use MCIMX6S8DVM10AD as a replacement. The main difference in terms of features is as you mentioned the updated silicon revision to 1.4 and the addition of EPDC.

The EPDC should cause no problem as you wouldn’t be using it.

As for the silicon revision you are using revision 1.1 you would need to review these changes even if using a processor with the same features, as all parts being produced are the newest silicon revision. These changes should not greatly affect your design but it’s important to review them. They are available on the Engineering Bulletin 804 (link below)

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/engineering-bulletin/EB804.pdf

The changes in revision 1.4 are the inclusion of some fuses that allow to force an internal boot to prevent tampering with the BOOT_MODE pins, which is recommended for security-enabled applications.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vasjakutin
Contributor I

Hi gusarambula,

Thanks for that clear and quick response.

BR,

Vasja

0 Kudos
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Vasja,

You may use MCIMX6S8DVM10AD as a replacement. The main difference in terms of features is as you mentioned the updated silicon revision to 1.4 and the addition of EPDC.

The EPDC should cause no problem as you wouldn’t be using it.

As for the silicon revision you are using revision 1.1 you would need to review these changes even if using a processor with the same features, as all parts being produced are the newest silicon revision. These changes should not greatly affect your design but it’s important to review them. They are available on the Engineering Bulletin 804 (link below)

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/engineering-bulletin/EB804.pdf

The changes in revision 1.4 are the inclusion of some fuses that allow to force an internal boot to prevent tampering with the BOOT_MODE pins, which is recommended for security-enabled applications.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos