cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVDS signals drive strength

Mihir2
Contributor I

Hi NXP team,

We are using i.MX8M Plus for our custom design.

While validating eye-diagram testing, we observed that signal has higher over-shoot and pre-shoot. Due to that signal gets distorted.

Is there any option to modify drive strength of LVDS clock and data lines?

Thank you in advance !

Regards,

Mihir

0 Kudos
9 Replies

AndreasMaquet
Contributor I

Hello Igor, or NXP team!

I have the same question regarding this, using i.MX8QM. It's of most urgent need for us to get an answer since we are quickly coming up to a deadline and the LVDS is giving us EMC emission troubles. 

And, no we have no problems with layout, in fact it's the cable between our PCB and the TFT which is hard to shield good. Less driver strength within LVDS spec. would be very, very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

Mihir2
Contributor I

Hello @AndreasMaquet ,

We are experimenting drive strength for LVDS signals, using details shared by NXP over email.

During our experiment, we also observed that we had a parallel termination of 100 Ohms between P and N lines (mounted on display side and not on our board). We removed those termination resistors and our signal distortion gets reduced and eye-diagram quality is improved.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mihir 

0 Kudos

Mihir2
Contributor I

Hello NXP team,

We have 100 ohms parallel termination resistors mounted on destination side on all 5 differential pairs. We removed those resistors and re-measured eye-diagram pattern. Overall signal quality gets improved and eye-diagram opening is better compared to previous one. Our signal quality distortion issue looks like resolved.

We have not changed any LVDS drive strength on our board.

I hope this helps other NXP member as well!!

Thanks and Regards,

Mihir 

0 Kudos

AndreasMaquet
Contributor I

Hello Mihir!

As a designer I would say that you then have 100 ohm termination already inside the receiver chip and that those extra redundant 100 ohm resistors made your termination to 50 ohms, which is bad for signal integrity and current rush. 

I've received the information from NXP now and I can get a reduction of around 5 dB emitted when pulling down driver strength. Every little helps...

0 Kudos

AndreasMaquet
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply!

I'm still looking forward for NXPs answer though. 

BR/
Andreas

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mihir

additional details were sent via mail.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

yogeshbsa89
Contributor II

Hi Igor/ NXP Community,

We are also facing emission issues in IMX8M+  from the Custom Lvds based display. by reducing pixel clock frequency to lower value (from 71 Mhz to 47 Mhz), it is improving to the Marginal level.

But it reduces frame rate as well. it is not so desired .

Now we are thinking alternative solution to control the emission by controlling LVDS drive strength.

Could you help in controlling LVDS drive strength. we are using 5.15 Linux Kernel.   

How we can we check current drive strength of lvds signals ?

Regards,

Yogesh

0 Kudos

mhammouda
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

please, can you share with me how to configure drive strength for lvds signals? I'm in the same situation.

0 Kudos

AndreasMaquet
Contributor I

(I think I replied to the wrong post up here...)

Hello Igor, or NXP team!

I have the same question regarding this, using i.MX8QM. It's of most urgent need for us to get an answer since we are quickly coming up to a deadline and the LVDS is giving us EMC emission troubles. 

And, no we have no problems with layout, in fact it's the cable between our PCB and the TFT which is hard to shield good. Less driver strength within LVDS spec. would be very, very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos