Is there any different firmwares for the VPU with improved codec capabilities?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any different firmwares for the VPU with improved codec capabilities?

Jump to solution
luisaguiar
Contributor I

What i want to know if it is possible to change the VPU firmware for another that has better capabilities. Is there another firmware binary? what changes to linux would be needed to make it work?

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Luis

VPU firmware is included in BSP, its current revision is given

in Release Notes document. VPU capabilities mainly defined

by hardware bus bandwidth and not firmware and can not be significantly changed.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Luis

VPU firmware is included in BSP, its current revision is given

in Release Notes document. VPU capabilities mainly defined

by hardware bus bandwidth and not firmware and can not be significantly changed.

Best regards

igor

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
luisaguiar
Contributor I

Hi igor,

Thanks for your reply.

I was referring mostly to H264 support for Main and High profiles. I already tested the VPU and it works well at Full HD @ 30 fps (level 4.0) but only constrained Base profile.

But, has you explained, it would probably need different hardware that is not available on the VPU module to support the added features.

Best regards,

Luis

0 Kudos