Is there an i.MX 6 Solo emulator and which/how Linux distro to use?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an i.MX 6 Solo emulator and which/how Linux distro to use?

vertz
Contributor I

Hi everyone, this is my first time here, reaching out to this community, so I hope you can help me out with something. I have a device coming in a few months that runs on an i.MX 6 Solo. Now, I haven't done a lot of reading and research yet, but I am doing so now, going through the various documentation files. Sorry if this is a question with an apparent answer, but I don't have the knowledge to answer it yet. So here it goes, how do I setup a development environment for this device. That is, even though I won't get the device in a few months, I would like to start developing applications for it, so is there a way to emulate a development environment that fits the constraints of the i.MX 6 solo? If there isn't a full software solution, is there a hardware solution then? I looked through the evaluation kits but there isn't an i.MX 6 Solo one.

That was my main question. now an extra one. Ultimately, I would setup Linux on the device. I am currently going through the documentation for the freescale embedded linux for i.MX application processors, however what I would like to know is what kind of linux distribution is it possible to setup on a device running i.MX 6 Solo, and would it ultimately be possible to setup JVM or Chromium, and have it run web applications, maybe even web apps running on the Crosswalk runtime environment?

I am aware this is a ton of information, but I am just kind of in the dark here, anything helps. so thanks in advance.

TL;DR - How to emulate the i.MX 6 Solo?; How/which Linux distro to setup?

Thanks, I'll stick around here for the few coming months :smileywink:

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Emz

for Chromium one can look at sect.5.6.6 Chromium Browser

attached Yocto Guide, for Solo emulation at sect.5  Enabling Solo Emulation

Linux Guide from  L3.14.28_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS (REV L3.14.28_1.0.0)

i.MX6Q|i.MX 6Quad Processors|Quad Core|Freescale

for starting one can look at

Linux on the i.MX6 sabre sd platform in a few commands

I am not aware of software which emulates i.MX 6 Solo processor and its modules.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

vertz
Contributor I

So besides the barebones Freescale Linux OS, is it possible to set up another Linux distro, like arch linux, on a device running i.MX 6 Solo ?

0 Kudos

vertz
Contributor I

Thanks a lot Igor, this is helpful, I am gonna go though these documents and see if I have any more questions.

0 Kudos