Is the PF3000 and PF3001 PMIC suitable for the i.mx 6 solo.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the PF3000 and PF3001 PMIC suitable for the i.mx 6 solo.

paulmerana
Contributor I

Hello

We are working on a design which was migrated from an i.mx6 SL to an i.mx6 solo and the PMIC is the PF3000 family and the design has LPDDR2. The data sheet (nor any other documents I can find) do not specify that the i.mx6 solo is ok to use this PMIC on. There are boards already made which seem to be working. The NXP webpage says:

"The i.MX 6Solo is supported by companion power management ICs (PMIC) MMPF0100, MMPF0200 and PF3001."

We were told that the PF3000 was designed to work with the lower end processors and it may work under curtain circumstances but we don't know what those are. Since the PF3001 is said to be sufficient can we extrapolate that the PF3000 is also acceptable?

The PF3000 page says:

"The PF3000 is ideally suited to Cortex™ A7 based i.MX 7Solo and i.MX 7Dual application processors to meet low power application requirements. The PF3000 is a perfect companion for the very low power Cortex™ A9 core product family including the i.MX 6DuaLite and all single-core Cortex A9 i.MX processors."

This would lead me to believe it is acceptable for the i.mx6 solo but we would like some confirmation of this.

Is there a migration guide from the i.mx6 SL to the i.mx6 solo that already spells out the differences which we would have to be aware of before we have to spend a good deal of time trying to compile one?

If the PF3000 is acceptable for the i.mx6 solo is there a specific part number / programming for the i.mx6 solo with LPDDR2? The current part on the board is

MC32PF3000A5EP

which says it is for the i.mx6 SL with LPDDR2. Is it ok to stick with this variant or would we need an non programmed part and configure the power rails and sequences here?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Paul Merana,

You should be able to use the PF3000 with the i.MX6Solo. However, there is no preprogrammed option with the PF3000 in mind.

The i.MX6Solo does have a higher power consumption in relation to the i.MX6SL mainly due to additional modules present on the i.MX6Solo, but other than that the main power supplies are similar so I would recommend starting your design with the i.MX6SL/LPDDR2 configuration in mind. You should be able to use this configuration. It would depend on whether you will use all modules of the i.MX6Solo or leave some unused.

There is no comparison guide between the i.MX6Solo and the i.MX6SL since these are not pin to pin compatible. (There is a HW comparison guide for the i.MX6Solo/DL/D/Q, and perhaps it would be useful to have one for the i.MX6SL/Solo nevertheless).

Regards,

0 Kudos