Is it simply possible to replace an i.MX6Dual by an i.MX6DualPlus on an existing design ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it simply possible to replace an i.MX6Dual by an i.MX6DualPlus on an existing design ?

toralf_popp
Contributor I

Dear experts

we have an existing design based on the iMX6Dual CPU. Due to increasing requirements in the video-processing we face restrictions in the memory access. We know that the performance of the iMX6DualPlus is increased and would solve our problem in an easy way if one thing is possible...

I read on your webpage the following:

The i.MX 6DualPlus family delivers dramatic graphics and memory performance enhancements and are pin-compatible with a broad range of i.MX 6 processors

Now to my questions

Will it be possible to simply replace the existing iMX6Dual by an iMX6DualPlus on an existing PCB-Design?

What do we have to check/change to do this?

Where are the risks by doing this?

Thanks for a answer.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You can see the i.MX 6Dual/6Quad and i.MX6DualPlus/6QuadPlus Applications Processor Comparisonhttps://www.nxp.com/docs/en/engineering-bulletin/EB810.pdf .

Have a nice day

Rita

0 Kudos

mahi
Contributor IV

There is a document about that: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/engineering-bulletin/EB810.pdf 

According to that, migration shouldn't be too problematic:

In order to allow customers to migrate from i.MX 6Dual/6Quad seamlessly, we have the following compatibility requirements on i.MX 6DualPlus/6QuadPlus:

Pin-to-pin compatible, no ball map changes

No PINMUX changes

No IP version changes other than the internal bus structures, GPU, PRE and PRGNo memory map change for existing IP modules

All features supported on i.MX 6Dual/6Quad are supported on i.MX 6DualPlus/6QuadPlus to the greatest extent possible

Software compatibility is mantained to the greatest extent possible

0 Kudos