cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is iMX23 right for my needs? Internet connected device

Gautam1z
Contributor I

Hi,

I am new to embedded, and looking for some advise from the experts.

I basically want to build a prototype device that boots up, connects to the network via WiFi, and loads a web browser. Once up the webbrowser is served content from a webservice. All this at as low a cost as possible :)

From looking around on the internet iMX233 seems to fit all these needs. I was wanting to ask the community if i should buy the iMX233EVK and start coding! or.. point me in a different direction.

Specific Asks:

1) Must load Linux OS

2) Must support GUI

3) Must be able to load a webkit browser that can display basic webpages html, images, text, javascript.

4) Must be able to work over WiFi

Specific questions about device:

1) Any recommendations for WiFi to add on to the board, that would eventually ship.

Thank you!

Gautam

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

ChrisWood
Contributor I

I don't know any way to make i.MX233 an SVGA device.

0 Kudos

Gautam1z
Contributor I

Thanks for the response Chris,

Im looking to make a digital frame that displays images from the internet. Since display is the primary function, i'd like to explore something with better resolution, but processor speed is not an issue even if it is not interactive speed. The iMX27 & 31 are SVGA, but the budgetary price more than doubles from the 233. Are those the only options, or is there some reasonable addon to 233 that can give me SVGA. Or some other options...

Thanks you for your time,
Gautam

0 Kudos

ChrisWood
Contributor I

Hello Gautam, we have used i.MX233 as a Linux based  Internet connected device and also used webkit on it. The performance is adequate but not blindingly fast. We use the Atheros AR6102 WiFi chip and it works very well. The max display size is VGA so you are restricted to 640x480. We use 480x272 on a 4.3" WVGA LCD panel.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos

Gautam1z
Contributor I

Another question:

2) What is the limit on resolution, is it 640x480? or is there a possibility of better resolution. (800x600 atleast) 

0 Kudos