cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMXRT1176 EVK Octal flash boot dcd generation

VicKrawciw
Contributor I

Hi,

I want to change an app for the IMXRT1176-EVK from using the QuadSPI flash XIP to using the Octal SPI flash XIP (as this is what we will use on our product board). The app currently contains a pre generated dcd.c file for the QuadSPI from the SDK. Where can I get the DCD configuration for the Octal device? Is there a suitable .mex file for the Device Configuration app that is setup for the Octal? All SDK examples appear to be for the Quad.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

After detail checking, the sdf file is from ARM, and to the RT1170, we don't have the sdf.
So, this is the updated information from our expert:
NXP provide DFP for RT1170, but NXP do not have experience for trace feature SDF file generation.

Suggest to contact ARM for SDF or guide customer use other trace tool.
Eg.
https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/MIMXRT1170-EVK-How-to-enable-instruction-trace-on-the-RT1170/td...

Best Regards,

Kerry

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

Thank you for your patient.

I get the internal reply that the NXP DFP didn't provide the the sdf file, I think this is why you can't make it work.

More details, we still in the internal talking, any updated information, I will let you know.

Please keep patient, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

VicKrawciw
Contributor I

Hi,

I am using the Keil MDK for development with a ULINK Pro. So I am not aware of .scp and .cfx files.

Is there any documentation that describes the DCD in more detail?

The Board Support Package that is loaded into MDK has 2 SDK drivers - 'evkmimxrt1170' and 'xip_board', plus an SDK Project Template that has 2 options 'MIMXRT1176' and 'evkmimxrt1176'. Is there any documentation that explains what these are and how to use them? It loads a file 'evkmimxrt1170_flexspi_nor_config.c' into the project which does seem to define the flash type - I assume this needs to be changed to use Octal flash?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

In fact, you totally don't need to consider the DCD when you just modify the flash chip, as the DCD is used for the SEMC configuration for the external SDRAM.

MDK is also the same, you just need to select the octal flash related flashloader is OK.

Now, do you test the SDK project? and also test my mentioned MCUBootutility tool?

After the MCUBootutility tool works, then you can switch to the debugger with IDE.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

VicKrawciw
Contributor I

Hi @kerryzhou 

So far I have a demo app that loads into QuadSPI (default on the 1176EVK) from MDK via ULINKPro and it boots and runs OK.

You say 'MDK is also the same, you just need to select the octal flash related flashloader is OK.'. That is where I am stuck! I have found a flash loader for the MDK to program octal via the debugger (as yet untested). I have modified the 1176EVK links to change it to OctalSPI. But I cannot generate an suitable image because 'evkmimxrt1170_flexspi_nor_config.c' is for the QuadSPI. This is the same as in your demo 'led_blinky' project when set to 'flexspi' build version. What I need (I believe) is a version of 'evkmimxrt1170_flexspi_nor_config.c' that is correctly set for the OctalSPI. It contains the definition for the boot header.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

Yes, you are right, the FCB must be changed to the Octal flash.

Please check my attached related file for your reference.

You can test the none sdram method, make it works at first.

Then to the SDRAM area, the related script is the same.

kerryzhou_0-1651715544611.png

kerryzhou_1-1651715551117.png

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

VicKrawciw
Contributor I

Thank you. The .FLM flash driver and FCFB definition in your zip appear to work - although it is intermittent. Sometimes flash download works, sometimes not. Also I cannot enter the Keil debugger (whereas I can when all is set to QuadSPI flash and the default DFP driver).

Any thoughts? Probably to do with debugger pin config maybe?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

In fact, the .FLM driver which I share with you already works with Segger JLINK debugger, which we have tested previously.

Now, when you download the code to the octal flash, can you boot works normal or not? Just don't use the debugger at first.

You also can use the MCUbootUtility tool download code to the octal flash in serial download mode, whether that method boot works OK or not?

If serial download boot works OK, and the .FLM download also works OK, just debugger can't work, it should still related to your ULINK pro debugger. Don't debug the code with SDRAM at first, just test the led_blinky project.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

VicKrawciw
Contributor I

Hi,

Ok - so now I can download and basic debug using the debugger. What I cannot do is enable the Trace mode debug options. In contact with Keil and looks like the 'Pack' (DFP) provided for the CPU does not setup the TPIU - something to do with a "System Description File" (SDF) and Access Port. Not sure who is responsible for this NXP or Keil! 

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

Thanks for the information that both download and debug works now.

About the keil DFP, as I know, it is from NXP side, I will check with internal side about your new found issues.

Any updated information, I will let you know, please keep patient.

BTW, this is the JLINK with RT1170 trace, you also can check it whether it is useful to you:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/MIMXRT1170-EVK-How-to-enable-instruction-trace-on-the-RT1170/td...

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

VicKrawciw
Contributor I

Hi,

I am still unable to debug the 1176 in Keil MDK with Trace enabled. Did you find out about the DFP for this CPU? It is extremely frustrating that I cannot redirect my printf debugs to the ITM device for output via the MDK debug serial viewer window. The JLINK info is of little use for ULINKPro.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

After detail checking, the sdf file is from ARM, and to the RT1170, we don't have the sdf.
So, this is the updated information from our expert:
NXP provide DFP for RT1170, but NXP do not have experience for trace feature SDF file generation.

Suggest to contact ARM for SDF or guide customer use other trace tool.
Eg.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VicKrawciw ,

Which debugger you are using now?

If you are using the on board CMSIS DAP, you still can use the original one, and the sdram is defined in the .scp file. the .cfx determines which flash you are using.

To the dcd, it is totally use the original one, as it is the same for the QSPI flash and octal flash, you don't need to change it.

After you change to the Octal flash, I suggest you use the MCUbootUtility tool  to download code in serial download mode at first, just to check whether your hardware is working or not.

You can find the tool from this link:
https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility/releases/tag/v3.5.0
the related user manual is:
https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Tags (1)
0 Kudos