IMXRT1170-EVK Debugging started failing with the message: "Unable to connect wire for probe index 1"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMXRT1170-EVK Debugging started failing with the message: "Unable to connect wire for probe index 1"

dmaclean
Contributor I

After having the board successfully debug for several week, it started abruptly failing to begin new sessions with the error message "Unable to connect wire for probe index 1. Error: Wire Ack Fault - target connected?". It shows the same message when I attempt to use the GUI Flash Utility to Erase the board.

It's possible that it lost power while in a debug session, I'm not completely sure.

I've power cycled the board multiple times, I can currently see the COM device on my computer and am able to see a Mass-storage device with the processor's name. I've attempted to reprogram the adapter following these directions: https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/sensor-toolbox-sensor-development-ecosystem...

The directions don't appear to be correct however, I've been unable to get it to boot into a "BOOTLOADER" mode. By pressing SW3 (not RESET) I can get it to boot into a "MAINTENANCE" mode where it accepts drag and drop programming of the application but not the bootloader.

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello
Hope you are well.

To put your device in bootloader mode please make sure J27 is in position 1-2 and press SW3 while you power your board.
Additionally, I suggest you follow these steps to regain access to your board:

• Import any example of the SDK, I suggest you import the iled_blinky example.
  • Locate SW1 on your board.
  • Change these switches so you can enter to Serial Downloader.
  • Disconnect and connect the power of your board so the changer in SW1 takes effect.
  • Make sure the project you imported does not have any debug configuration, if it has one please delete it.
  • Launch the debug session while you are in Serial Downloader.
  • Stop the debug session.
  • Delete the debug configuration created while you launched this project.
  • Go to your board and change SW1 the way it was.
  • Disconnect and connect your board.
  • At this point, you should be able to debug with any problem.

The reason why you need to import a fresh project from the SDK is that we are sure that this project works perfectly and has all the right configurations in the clocks and in all the other peripherals. This will bring your board into a known state and will avoid bricking it again.

Let me know if this is helpful, if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos

dmaclean
Contributor I

Hi Omar,

Thanks for the response, however I'm still getting the same error with the boot mode set to Serial downloader or Internal boot using the SDK examples. I've also tried using the GUI Flash Tool in MCUXpresso but that also returns the same "Unable to connect wire for probe index 1."

Regards,

Doug

0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello

Please try to recover your board with the MCU Boot Utility: https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility
At this point, you can find a guide of how to recover your board using this tool: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2019/01/02/regaining-debug-access-of-nxp-i-mx-rt1064-evk-executing-wfi/

Let me know if this helps, if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos