Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8XQ High temperature protection

gravity_one
Contributor III

hello,all

Because in cars, the temperature will be very high,

when we use IMX8, what do we need to do when the temperature is high? 

have to do the frequency down and so on?

No documentation for high temperature protection?

BRS

Thanks

grayli

4 Replies

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, at higher temperatures you can slow the operating frequency down, stop some of the cores and on-chip peripherals to reduce the power consumption and thermal emission. The current Linux thermal management driver already provides such a feature.

Best Regards,
Artur

0 Kudos

mrudangshelat1
Senior Contributor II

Hi Grayli,

Unfortunately, there is no document for high-temperature protection. It requires a good thermal hardware design along with smart software strategies to balance performance against the heat generated when doing sustained high-performance activities. 

For software, all I can say is that our BSP puts in place a bare minimum of Linux power management hooks. Our BSP is in no way tuned for battery operations or to keep the heat down in a high-performance application. The thermal trip points and DVFS settings need to be adjusted for the specific application. Additionally, if active cooling is required, the software would need to be added to control as well as dedicating GPIO pins for the same.

Regards,

Mrudang

gravity_one
Contributor III

Hi,Mrudang,

Thank you for your reply  .

Regards,

grayli

0 Kudos

mrudangshelat1
Senior Contributor II

Hi Grayli,

• Can you please let me know where you are planning to install this iMX8 based system?
  • Which processor are you planning to use here? 

Kindly follow below:

• Select automotive parts & ensure thermal management at the system level (most critical).
  • Operate at lower operating frequency & reduced core.
  • One can disable some non-critical operations/functions.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Mrudang

0 Kudos