IMX8Mq custom board rel_imx_4.14.98_2.0.0_ga kernel when playing video overnight , CPU freeze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8Mq custom board rel_imx_4.14.98_2.0.0_ga kernel when playing video overnight , CPU freeze

agnel_terry
Contributor III

Hi ,

In our project with IMX8MQ, custom board, with Kernel and packages released to 4.14.98 , running video overnight to do performance testing ,  one or two boards have CPU freeze overnight,  couple of boards works fine for weeks with the same FW.

I am not seeing any crash in the Kernel / GStreamer debug logs. I see CPU freeze in some boards only when I start playing video. 

If I just run some frame buffer test, I am not seeing the freeze. 

As I don't have any crash messages , I am not able to get more information , will using tools like JTAG, give more Information.

Can someone help, with some information about why some boards freeze in the overnight test.

Thanks and regards

Terry

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

We haven't any freeze overnight in our releases with EVK board, is probably that the problem is your PMIC.

Regards

0 Kudos

agnel_terry
Contributor III

Hi ,

Thank you for the response,  can this issue be dubugged using  JTAG ?

Is there any VPU lock up issues reported ?

Thanks and Regards

Terry

0 Kudos

agnel_terry
Contributor III

Hi ,

In our custom board we updated the DDR from 3GB to 4GB, we ran DDR stress test and we created new lpDDR4 timing file and updated it in the U-boot, and the required changes in U-boot and kernel for the DDR is done , is there any other updates need to be done in ATF for the DDR updates.

Other than DDR is the any Power Domain driver change we need to take care for custom board , we use 4.14.98.2.0.0_GA version

Thanks and Regards

Terry

0 Kudos

agnel_terry
Contributor III

Hi 

After couple of tests, found that the video freeze only when i run on top of Weston,  using waylandsink , if I dont load weston and run the video using autovideosink, it uses KMSsink and the video runs properly, no freeze,

The unit also freeze when i run weston test application like weston-simple-egl, it runs for a while and then freeze, from this I assume  the unit freeze when the GPU is used. I assume the GPU causes the freeze, 

IS the any way I can change the GPU mem Size or is there any patch for GPU need to be dne on top of 4.14.98-2.0.0_ga.

Thanks and regards

Terry

0 Kudos

edward_fu
Contributor III

Have you resolved the problem? 

0 Kudos

agnel_terry
Contributor III

The issue was related to power rails in the board, the HW team updated the board design , we didnt see the issue after that.

0 Kudos

edward_fu
Contributor III

Thanks

0 Kudos