IMX8M Serial Downloader support with USB3.0 speed Micro-B interface and without Type-c connector

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8M Serial Downloader support with USB3.0 speed Micro-B interface and without Type-c connector

venkateshp54
Contributor I
Hi,
In our design we are planning to use USB3.0 micro-B connector for USB device and we have some question in USB3.0
Please verify the attached snapshot and let us know if any changes are required. We are planning use this for serial down loader purpose

1.      ID pin is required for USB3.0 communication?
2.      Only USB1 support for USB3.0 device?
3.      Is this fine if I connect VBUS permanently high through internal 5V?
4.       ROM code supports only USB1 to flash the program by using the down loader mode  as per the section 6.1.8 serial downloader from IMX8MDQLQRM reference manual?
In reference board Type-C and ptn5110 interface used for to flash eMMc chip on this board.Our custom board we are planning with USB 3.0 Micro-B connector .

Thanks,

Venkatesh

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

venkateshp54
Contributor I

Hi Ritesh Patel,

Our custom design we made as USB OTG1 with USB3.0 device (micro usb3.0 connector) , USB 2.0 we didn't try.

Thanks,

Venkatesh

0 Kudos

riteshpatel
Contributor II

Hi Venkatesh,

Thank you for the response.

We are using USB3.0 Type A connector. You have used Micro B USB3.0 connector. Ultimately, USB HID detection during Serial download mode uses OTG USB2.0 connections only. So We just have to configure OTG1 port in a device mode.

How have you configured your OTG1_ID pin in your Hardware?

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
  1. You are right. The i.MX8M requires to use USB1 for downloading.

1. The USB1-ID pin should be floating if Micro B connector on the board is used.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:

This thread is continued as a private discussion with the submitter,
NXP support is not following the thread anymore.

0 Kudos

venkateshp54
Contributor I

Dear Paval Chubakov,

Thanks for your support !!!

By,

Venkatesh

0 Kudos

riteshpatel
Contributor II

Hi Venkatesh,

Is your issue resolved?

Are you able to detect USB OTG1 port as a USB2.0 device (iMX8M as a HID device) to support serial download mode?

0 Kudos

venkateshp54
Contributor I

OTG_PWR_USB1.pngDear Paval Chubakov,

Thaks for your update,

2. All USB connectors on the board can be used for connection to USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 devices.

I need to know what is the difference between the USB1 and USB2 , How SOC Rom code will identify the device mode .

In the manual following section 6.1.8 Serial Downloader says:  "In this mode, the ROM programs the WDOG1 for a time-out specified by the fuse WDOG Time-out Select (See fusemap for details) if the WDOG_ENABLE eFuse is 1 and continuously polls for the USB connection. If no activity is found on the USB OTG1 and the watchdog timer expires, the Arm core is reset.

"

Then serial downloader mode always will work with USB1 interface lines USB1_DN/DP, USB1_RXN/RXP, USB1TXN/TXP and USB1_ID(USB OTG1) ?

4.If USB 3.0 Micro-B connector is used, your board is USB slave.

NXP serial downloader from IMX8MDQLQRM reference manual correctly works if USB slave is connected. --> always will work with USB1?

ROM code expects any ID pin status changes , suppose we are going to connect USB3.0 Micro B connector. Let me know the USB1-ID pin status how need to connect(Low/High/float)?

Thanks,

Venkatesh

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
  1. If USB 3.0 micro-B connector is used, ID pin should be disconnected. See the Chapter 5 of USB 3.0 Specification.

1. All USB connectors on the board can be used for connection to USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 devices.

1. See the Section 9.2.5.1 of USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 Specification:

USB bus power is a limited resource. During device enumeration, a host evaluates a device’s power requirements. If the power requirements of a particular configuration exceed the power available to the device, Host Software shall not select that configuration.

It means that your solution is incorrect.

1. If USB 3.0 Micro-B connector is used, your board is USB slave.

NXP serial downloader from IMX8MDQLQRM reference manual correctly works if USB slave is connected.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos