cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX7D EIM bus transmission speed

Contributor II

Hello everyone
my development board is IMX7DSABRE. Linux kernel version is 4.9.88
I communicate with FPGA through EIM bus. During the communication, I found that the transmission speed of EIM is only 7MByte / S. This transmission speed cannot meet our needs. What is the theoretical transmission speed of EIM bus on imx7d? How should we increase the transmission speed of EIM?
The way we test the transmission speed of EIM is through the devmem2 tool. We modified the source file devmem2.c to keep it reading data on the EIM bus. Then through calculation, the transmission speed is only 7MByte / S

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi  其东 刘

for eim performance considerations one can look at

https://community.nxp.com/thread/494684 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Contributor II

Hi, igorpadykov
I checked the link you sent me, and the information in it didn't provide much help. Everyone is discussing that the transmission speed of the EIM bus is too low, but there does not seem to be a good solution.
I am setting up a 16-bit data line, a 27-bit address line, and asynchronous read and write for EIM data transmission, but the transmission speed is too slow. About 7MByte / S
Does your official website test the transmission speed of EIM? What is the highest transmission speed of EIM bus you can get?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi  其东 刘

right, eim is not designed for fast data transfers.

Transmission speed of eim highly depends on use case and internal bus loading.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

Contributor II

Hi, igorpadykov
We now have a product with a transmission rate of 30MByte / S. Is this transmission rate transmitted via the EIM bus? Is it feasible to achieve it? If EIM does not support such a high transmission rate, what other bus interface can I use?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

this question does not make sense as it is general.

So general answer : in some use cases it can achieve rate of 30MByte,

on another use cases it can not achieve rate of 30MByte.

For example suggest to test it without OS, on baremetal SDK, it is for

i.MX6 but one can reuse it for i.MX7D:

rt-thread/eim_test.c at master · RT-Thread/rt-thread · GitHub 

0 Kudos