IMX7 VDD_SNVS_IN drawing too much current while turned off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX7 VDD_SNVS_IN drawing too much current while turned off.

benjaminblanton
Contributor II

I'm using a coin cell to keep VDD_SNVS_IN (RTC and tamper) up while the IMX7 is powered off and I'm measuring ~33uA on VDD_SNVS_IN while the datasheet says this should be <5uA.  Are there settings or anything I need to do get this lower current draw.  5uA is acceptable, but 33uA brings my battery life down to less than a year.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

App note AN5383 (i.MX 7DS Power Consumption Measurement) provides

recommendations how to use power saving modes of the i.MX7 and reduce consumption.

Please refer to the following sections of the app note:

5. Reducing Power Consumption

6. Use Case Configuration and Usage Guidelines

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN5383.pdf 

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

benjaminblanton
Contributor II

I don't any information that helps here.  The IMX7 datasheet states:

"The power consumption in SNVS model with all the tamper detection logic enabled will be less than
5 uA @ 3.0 V on VDD_SNVS_IN for typical silicon at 25°C." (page 28)

This app note gives SNVS current of 4301 uA on page 12.  Obviously this is 1000x greater than the datasheet and our real world measurements with system power removed and SNVS hooked up to a coin cell battery is ~33uA. 

0 Kudos