cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6UL vs 32bit LPDDR2 in MCP package.

naghi
Contributor II

Hello,

Does anyone know the design consideration for using 32bit LPDDR2 with IMX6UL? The IMX6UL has 16bit controller and can support the LPDDR2.

However in my design I need to use MCP package (LPDDR2+eMMC) to save the space. 16bit LPDDR2 chips are not common in MCP package and usually they are in 32bit configuration.

There are several MCP packages from micron with 32bit LPDDR2 and they claim that it will support 16bit configuration. So, is there any document or design guide for boot configuration and layout.

Thanks.

6 Replies

punitkumar
Contributor IV

Hi naghi

Tell us if you find something to make it worked.

I also have to do the same.

Best Regards

punitkumar

0 Kudos

engjoe
Contributor II

naghi,

Were you (or anyone else) able to get it working? I'm looking to do the exact same thing and came across your post.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

In order to use 32-bit LPDDR chips on 16-bit controllers, the lower address bits should be connected, while grounding the other lines.

For other details, you could refer to the following thread:

Dual-Channel LPDDR2 Routing Rules for i.MX6

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

naghi
Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

I guess you are pointing to the Data bus DQ[0:31] as below. According to your answer, the only concern then will be pull down the rest of DQ[16:31].

The other point is Freescale provided the source code for 16bit LPDDR2 in the 9x9IMXUL dev board. Can we expect that one to be compatible with 32bit as well?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately we do not have a board with such kind of memory, so we haven´t tested but there are few boards of our partners using this kind of memories, using our tools as a based,  from the technical point of view, it would work but as I mention never tested.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

naghi
Contributor II

Hi,

Actually FreeScale has the board with 16bit LPDDR2. Here is the part number of the memory that it exists on the board W97BH6KBVX21. This version has the PFUZE3000 as a PMIC as well.

The board named as MCIMX6UL_9x9-CM.

Best,

0 Kudos