cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6UL-EVK Programming NAND via L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools

julianwilmot
Contributor I

Hi,

I can't program the NAND flash (MT29F32G08CBADAWP) populated on U302. I have removed U303 and the SD Card from J301 and also shorted the resistor R324 (which is under the NAND footprint) . I also made sure the Boot Configuration bits are correct SW602 is setup for serial downloader and SW601 is setup for NAND. Also (BOOTCFG[7-0]=10110011 and BOOTCFG2[7-0]=00001000) and BOOT_CFG4[7-0]=00000000. Which I believe is all correct.

Also I can program the SD card via L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools by calling the script mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbs and obviously having the correct BOOT configurations for the SD Card.

But when I try to program the NAND by calling mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs and have the configurations setup as in the first paragraph it does not want to program the NAND. The Manufacturing tool Loads the U-boot, Kernel and Initramfs and then says No Device Connected and then says Erasing Boot partition and fails immediately. The output of the dbug port specifies after the Kernel has been loaded at the end where the device fails ...

Starting UTP
uuc 0.5 [built Sep 16 2016 02:36:28]
UTP: Waiting for device to appear
UTP: file/device node /dev/utp already exists
cpu_id is 0
UTP: received command '$ mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug'
UTP: executing "mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug"
UTP: sending Success to kernel for command $ mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug.
utp_poll: pass returned.
UTP: received command '$ flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0'
UTP: executing "flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0"
flash_erase: error!: /dev/mtd0
error 2 (No such file or directory)
UTP: sending Non-success to kernel for command $ flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0.
utp_poll: exit with status 65280

Can anyone please assist me in programming the NAND, I have read all the forum posts relating to the NAND flash on the IMX6UL with no success.

Kind Regards

Julian

0 Kudos
2 Replies

matkattanek
Contributor III

Julian, 

I went thru similiar issues. I think the L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools are plain broken for NAND flashing. I finally succeeded flashing the NAND after build my own u-boot-imx-mfgtool. This then recognizes the NAND and mfgtools proceed, writing all needed partition /dev/mtd0.... mtd4

Mat

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

the message  "error!: /dev/mtd0 \ error 2 (No such file or directory) " means that,

there is no NAND MTD driver in (MFG) kernel. MFG tool kernel is built using

the imx_v7_mfg_defconfig while the default kernel is built by using the imx_v7_defconfig,

that may do not contain NAND driver(s).

Please refer to i.MX Linux Reference Manual regarding kernel options for NAND support

in order to build proper MFG system.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos