Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6SX problem running M4 and A9 both on DDR

Jump to solution
alancasinelli
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to have both the m4 and a9 boot from ddr since my custom board (based on the imx6sx-sabresd) doesn't have the qspi flash.

If I directly boot linux (kernel version 3.10.53) on the a9, without removing the reset on the m4 everything works just fine.

Following this guide:  How to Run the MQX™ RTOS on Various RAM Memories for i.MX 6SoloX I was able to load the "hello" example of the MQX RTOS at the address 0x80000000 and then run it through "bootaux 0x80000000" using u-boot. The m4 core is working fine since I am able to see the "Hello World" from the m4 console being printed.

However if I try to boot linux after booting the M4 core, I get stuck at:

Kernel image @ 0x81800000 [ 0x000000 - 0x54a908 ]

## Flattened Device Tree blob at 83000000

Booting using the fdt blob at 0x83000000

Using Device Tree in place at 83000000, end 8300e893

switch to ldo_bypass mode!

Starting kernel ...

And nothing happens later.

I also tried appending "uart_from_osc"  in the mmcargs variable in u-boot, but still nothing changes.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks for your help.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
alancasinelli
Contributor II

I actually solved this.

The .dts file in the kernel version 3.10.53 doesn't include some necessary modifications needed to boot both the a9 and m4.
I just added this file imx6sx-sdb-m4.dts to my board .dts file. Even if it is for the 3.14.58 kernel version, it worked just fine for me.

The "uart_from_osc" command will make sure that the m4 console won't get corrupted when both the a9 and m4 are running.

Hope this will help you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mirkoardinghi1
Contributor IV

I have a similar problem , I have a kernel panic.

Any help?

0 Kudos
alancasinelli
Contributor II

I actually solved this.

The .dts file in the kernel version 3.10.53 doesn't include some necessary modifications needed to boot both the a9 and m4.
I just added this file imx6sx-sdb-m4.dts to my board .dts file. Even if it is for the 3.14.58 kernel version, it worked just fine for me.

The "uart_from_osc" command will make sure that the m4 console won't get corrupted when both the a9 and m4 are running.

Hope this will help you.

0 Kudos
chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

Hi Alan,

even i have same problem kernel locks after loading m4 when i try to boot

pastedImage_0.png

I am using IMX7D board

have imx7d-sdb.dts file .. where exactly i have to copy ..i copied to my board SDCARD but still same response .

Could you please tell me where i have to copy

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
chandiniindavar
Contributor IV

problem solved by doing this:

$ setenv fdt_file imx7d-sdb-m4.dtb

$ save

0 Kudos
mirkoardinghi1
Contributor IV

Thanks, it works!