IMX6QPSABRESD using USB port in PCIe connector

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6QPSABRESD using USB port in PCIe connector

dluberger
Contributor V

This sabre board only comes with one USB connector: a USB micro connected to USB OTG. My understanding is there is no way to simultaneously use this as both a host and device connection. So I have an adapter that gives me a standard USB A port that I can connect a hub to for various devices like mouse, keyboard etc. Alternatively, I can connect a standard A-to-Micro-B cable to my host computer, so that I can do Android USB debugging, and mainly I use that for sending APK over USB when creating a new app.

My issue is that since this is the only USB port, I cannot have my mouse and keyboard connected (or any other device) while I have USB connected to my host pc as device mode.

I noticed in the sabreboard schematic, there is a second USB port that is attached to the PCIe connector.  However, I soldered a USB port to the ground, D-, D+ signals (I'm connected to powered hub so I shouldn't need USB 5V connected) but this does not work. Mouse and keyboard don't come up.  My thinking is that maybe the USB peripheral on the imx6qp processor is not powered (I haven't checked but can't find good test points to verify), and I noticed there is a signal called "USB_H1_VBUS" that is activated by gpio called "USB_H1_PWR_EN".  Is this signal off by default? If so, is there a way to turn it on from Android command prompt (over serial debug port)? If not, what else could be preventing this USB port from not working? Is there a card detect that I need to short to ground so that the processor thinks a pci card is attached in order to activate the usb port?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

dluberger
Contributor V

It turns out the issue was simply that I did not connect the USB 5V power line to USB_H1_VBUS. I'm not sure why this is required since it's a powered hub that I connected, but I guess a USB host port is responsible for logic power? I don't know why this worked but it did.

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi David,

see below, please!

(1) Using USB OTG port on SabreSD board for your application

Because you want to connect USB Hub to the port, which requires USB OTG to work at Host mode. So you will have to use "MicroUSB To Type B Femail cable" like below:

pastedImage_1.png

Then connect your usb hub to Type B femail side.

(2) Using USB Host signals on MiniPCIe connector

USB Hub chip has a "det" pin, which is used for dection purpose, and the pin needs USB 5V, so this is the reason why when you connect USB 5V to hub, it can nomally work.

Hope above information can help you!

Hava a nice day!

BR,

Weidong

0 Kudos