cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX28EVK and NAND

FS1z
Contributor II

Hi Group,

so I've several problems getting the IMX28EVK to boot Linux 2.6.35 from NAND. Freescale support told me to try UBIFS instead of jffs2 cause this should cause less problems. 

What I did so far:

- tried jffs2.

- tried ubifs.

- tried several different NAND chips.

The problems I faced are all discussed quite often:

- jffs2 unable to mount mtdblock and use the rootfs.

- ubiattach errors after a reboot. and/or unable to use ubi0:rootfs volume

- NAND chips not recognized correctly 

I've tried several chips from Hynix.  At the moment I've a H27U8G8T2B here. The chip is already listed in nand_ids.c and nand_device_info.c. 

I attached the output of dmesg, mtdinfo, the sources from drivers/mtd/nand/.

There are automatically 2 MTD partitions created and the second "gpmi-nfc-general-use" partition is further split into 4 pieces, each of 2 GB. As I read in the sourcecode this is due to a MTD limitation.

Now I can do a flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0 and flash the bootstream (no u-boot) on the NAND partition and there is NO problem to boot.

But as soon as I do a flash_eraseall on any of the other partitions (mtd1-5) then this will somehow delete my first partition with the bootlet as well, cause I receive a 0x80508002 (Unable to find bootblock e.g. NCB) error when I try to boot.

I wonder what's going wrong here and hope that somebody can help me.

Greetings,

F

attachment.rtf

H27U8G8T2B.pdf

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

mdc
Contributor V

Here are a couple threads I recommend you review which may be helpful. The second is for an MX53, but talks about the steps to generate your ubifs outside of ltib which you might try.

http://imxcommunity.org/group/imx28andimx28evk/forum/topics/imx28-nand-boot-no-init-found?xg_source=...

http://imxcommunity.org/group/imx53hardwaredesign/forum/topics/flashing-nand-with-ubifs-and-burning-...

0 Kudos

Prashanth1z
Contributor II

Hi,

even i am seeing a similar issue with my imx28 EVK. i flash the NAND and able to boot for the first time, but some how this corrupts the FCB blocks in my boot partition and the board won;'t boot second time.

Did u make any progress, if so please let me know the same, i tried all the options and versions of mtd-utils possible but could not fix the issue.

regards,

Prashanth G

0 Kudos