Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I.MX8MP MIPI CSI supported Data Types

Jump to solution
btogorean
Contributor II

Hello NXP community,

I'm currently working on a Camera project based on I.MX8MP and the camera sensor is capable to ouput data in RAW16 format but is not clear for me if I.MX8MP can accept it.

In Rev. 1, 06/2021 IMX8MPRM is stated that the ISI can store RAW16 at its output but on CSI only RAW6 to RAW14 are defined for input image data format.

So from my understanding is a limitation of CSI and RAW16 is not accepted as Data Type on MIPI. Is this correct or is there any way to capture RAW16 on I.MX8MP?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution
dianapredescu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bogdan,

Your understanding is correct. Unfortunately there is a hardware limitation on MIPI CSI IP and it can support only up to RAW14 image format. Regarding why that format appears on ISI chapter, from what I can see ISI can either have as input the MIPI CSI interface or fetching the data from memory. I suppose the RAW16 image format can be used for memory to memory operations (not sure of this, I don't think it's implemented in software, but I can check) however, regarding capture it isn't possible.

In fact, the same can go for ISP. The ISP actually does support RAW16, but it is not listed in 13.14.2.2.2 MIPI Inputs because MIPI-CSI does not support it and it's the only input.

Best regards,

Diana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dianapredescu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bogdan,

Your understanding is correct. Unfortunately there is a hardware limitation on MIPI CSI IP and it can support only up to RAW14 image format. Regarding why that format appears on ISI chapter, from what I can see ISI can either have as input the MIPI CSI interface or fetching the data from memory. I suppose the RAW16 image format can be used for memory to memory operations (not sure of this, I don't think it's implemented in software, but I can check) however, regarding capture it isn't possible.

In fact, the same can go for ISP. The ISP actually does support RAW16, but it is not listed in 13.14.2.2.2 MIPI Inputs because MIPI-CSI does not support it and it's the only input.

Best regards,

Diana

0 Kudos
btogorean
Contributor II

Thank you Diana for clarifying this.

0 Kudos