How to use a Real Time Clock with i.MX6?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a Real Time Clock with i.MX6?

Jump to solution
mxthias
Contributor I

Hi,

We intend to use an i.MX6 for a new project. Since we are starting from scratch we don't have much experience so far. One question is how we can provide time and date information to our application at start-up. The documentation describes the on-chip (S)RTCs which are real time counters. Does anybody know if they can be used for implementing a calendar clock? Would it be better or is it even required to add an external device (e.g. third party I2C RTC) to our design? Would be grateful for some hints / application notes on this topic. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Mathias

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Milco
Contributor III

Hi Mathias,

i.MX6 family has a secure Real Time Clock (SRTC) useful for implementing a calendar clock.

Linux drivers are also available.

The only difference between SRTC and external RTC, may be, can be the backup state current consumption of about 250uA MAX. With an externa RTC you can have some 5/10 uA (depends on RTC model)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Milco
Contributor III

Hi Mathias,

i.MX6 family has a secure Real Time Clock (SRTC) useful for implementing a calendar clock.

Linux drivers are also available.

The only difference between SRTC and external RTC, may be, can be the backup state current consumption of about 250uA MAX. With an externa RTC you can have some 5/10 uA (depends on RTC model)

0 Kudos