How to set the MAC on AR6003 Wifi Interface ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set the MAC on AR6003 Wifi Interface ?

ottob
Contributor IV

Hi There, We are running the freescale Yocto BSP released in May on a imx6q with a AR6003 (Actually AR6103) Wifi module. The driver used is the opensource ath6kl, which seems to work well both in client and AP mode. However, we have been unable to figure out how to change the MAC address. Currently all our devices come up wiht the same mac (00:03:7F:41:26:BC). The standard ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 does not work. I took a look at the driver, but it looks like the "custom MAC" capability is not supported by the Firmware, which seems strange since that means its not a shippable solution. Which leads me to beleive there has to be a way to do this... In the Freescale Linux Reference manual on page 318 it mentions that a mac80211 replacement driver (ath6k) is in the works. What is the state of that driver ? Will it support a custom MAC ? Thanks in advance /Otto

Labels (2)
11 Replies

nealbush
Contributor I

Hi  Otto:

did you solved the problem? I face the same trouble with you . And the MAC addr  of ar6013 is the same with yours , where ar6000.ko is used . I also can not change the MAC addr.

0 Kudos

rajtantajtan1
Contributor I

Otto, did you find a way to change the mac adress of AR6103 wifi?

0 Kudos

ottob
Contributor IV

No, we ended up switching to another Wifi chip due to underwhelming support

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Otto,

Let me ask about the status of the driver.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

ottob
Contributor IV

Hi Alejandro, Any updates on this ? The problem is starting to "heat up" here Thanks, /Otto

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I just found this:

AR6103 MAC address

I have not checked the U-boot source code if this can be acheived for the AR6103.

Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos

ottob
Contributor IV

Hi, That's worth looking into however I'm unable to find the "BSP reference manual" that talks about Ethernet and FEQ in chapters 16 & 17. Any idea on what document they are talking about ? Thanks, /Otto

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I just checked and they are talking about the iMX25 device.

https://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=IMX25_0912_SDK_LINUXDOCS_BUNDLE&nodeId=018rH3ZrDR6...

The BSP is different but it is worth looking at the code and check differences.

Regards,

Alejadro

0 Kudos

ottob
Contributor IV

Hi There, That document talks about how to set the MAC address for the interface (eth0) that's built in to the mx25. Unfortunately it is of no help when it comes to setting the MAC on the AR6103 / AR6003 (as far as I can tell). In the iMX6 Linux Reference Manual ch 47 it reads "The officially supported WiFi chip with FSL BSP is AR6003 from Atheros.", however it does not feel particularly supported at this point. A month after posting a question about something as fundamental as setting the MAC address we still do not have an answer. Any help is appreciated Thanks, /Otto

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

According to the developers the informatio in the Linux RM in section 48.1.2 is old stuff for the ath6kl driver in 3.0.35 kernel

Which is not needed anymore since kernel 3.10.x and therefore it will be removed. Let me keep delving how to modify the mac addres of the device.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am waiting for an answer from the developers.

Let me send a friendly reminder.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos