How to run M7 code from both TCM and DDR?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run M7 code from both TCM and DDR?

jpsk
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a simple program running on the M7 (i.MX8 Nano) which triggers a GPIO interrupt to unblock the SPI read when a "data ready" signal is received from the ADC  ~every 43us. 

When I run this code in TCM, timing looks great and everything works beautifully. 

Note: "ADC CS" is a separate GPIO pin that complements the native SPI Chip Select to select one of multiple SPI slaves in the SPI bus.

jpsk_0-1660757165769.png

When I run the code from DDR, the ISR was not serviced timely and the entire routine to retrieve the SPI data takes about 10 times longer!  Is there a way to speed up the code running from the DDR?  

jpsk_1-1660757457420.png

How to setup the code to run from both TCM and DDR?

Due to the size of the TCM (128K each for Instructions and Data), running our entire program on the TCM is not a viable solution, I read that it is possible to run the most time critical routines (ISR, real time tasks) from the TCM and the rest from the DDR.  Is there an example somewhere that I can refer to see how this is done?

Any pointers on how to address the execution speed limitation is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @jpsk,

[Q] Is there a way to speed up the code running from the DDR?

[A]

The biggest factor is cache! You must enable the M4 cache when running from DDR.

That will help you speed up the code running.

Best Regards,
Dhruvit.

0 Kudos