How to restrict the memory available for kernel to 128MB.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict the memory available for kernel to 128MB.

Jump to solution
arunkrishna
Contributor II

Hi,

I am using Freescale IMX 6 series Quad Sabre board for Auto infotainment.

I am using the bsp package  version "L3.0.35_12.09.01_GA_source" downloaded from freescale site.

When I checked the memory info ,I came to know that the board supports 256MB of RAM

I wanted to restrict the kernel space to 128MB and use the rest for some other purpose.

I tried giving the option "mem=128M" in the boot args.However the board was not booting after this change.

Please let me know the option to give so that I can restrict the memory available for kernel to 128MB.

Thanks in advance

Arun Krishna

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
arunkrishna
Contributor II

Hi Mr Yixing,Zhi Li,

I found out that the RAM supports 2GB(and not 256MB) of memory in total.It was showing this memory in 2 separate chunks(256MB and 1.7GB)...I did not see the second chunk when I listed down the available memory.

However we need to reserve atleast 512MB of memory for board to boot up and the graphics to come up.So when I use mem=512M the board gets booted up.

Thanks

Arun Krishna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
arunkrishna
Contributor II

Hi Mr Yixing,Zhi Li,

I found out that the RAM supports 2GB(and not 256MB) of memory in total.It was showing this memory in 2 separate chunks(256MB and 1.7GB)...I did not see the second chunk when I listed down the available memory.

However we need to reserve atleast 512MB of memory for board to boot up and the graphics to come up.So when I use mem=512M the board gets booted up.

Thanks

Arun Krishna

0 Kudos
YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Krishna, please click Correct Answer if your questions have been answered.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos
FrankLi1z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

mem=128M is correct. But GPU reserved some memory at start. So no mem left, then boot fail.