cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove or not use GPU in yocto

weideding
Contributor II

Hi 

I am using LCDIF->DSI->HDMI for main display on mx8mq yocto. How to remove GPU use from yocto? I plan to move GPU + second hdmi(DCSS->HDMI) into virtualized OS jailhouse use.

When I removed GPU from device tree(.dts), wayland/weston failed to access /dev/dri/card0. 

When I removed "imxgpu" from MACHINEOVERRIDES_EXTENDER_mx8mq in imx-base.inc, it will generate many compile failures.

MACHINEOVERRIDES_EXTENDER_mx8mq  = "imxdrm:imxdcss:imxvpu:imxvpuhantro:imxgpu:imxgpu3d"

Any suggestion are welcome!

3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Weide

in device tree one can try to remove the GPU driver:

&gpu_.. {
        status = "disabled";
};

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

weideding
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

Yes, i did remove gpu as you showed "disabled" in device tree at my beginning try, GPU driver was really removed, but yocto's wayland/weston still wanted to use /dev/dri/card0 to render,  this caused weston failed to display yocto interface.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos

hongxingyu1982
Contributor III

HI Weide

It seems I have met the same issue now. I would like to move  GPU + LCDIF->DSI->HDMI tinto virtualized OS jailhouse use.

In fact, I have moved  LCDIF->DSI->HDMI tinto virtualized OS jailhouse use. But I am not sure whether the GPU can move to  virtualized OS jailhouse alse, and work with LCDIF->DSI->HDMI in virtualized OS jailhouse.

Best regards.

0 Kudos