How to improve the Android 9.0's performance on i.MX6 Dual Lite?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve the Android 9.0's performance on i.MX6 Dual Lite?

ruei_chang
Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm using i.MX6 dual lite with Android 9.0.  And the AOSP is download by imx-p9.0.0_2.0.0-ga.tar.gz

After building and upgrading the image into board, the system performance is not as good as Android 6.

Then I put the GMS into the system, the system performance became more terrible...

Is there any method to improve the situation?   Or should I upgrade my EVB to imx7 or imx8?  Haha...Hope there is a solution. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ruei_chang

one can try to remove "ARM_ERRATA" :

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx/tree/arch/arm/mach-imx/mx6/Kconfig?h=imx_v2018....

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

ruei_chang
Contributor III

@igorpadykov Thanks, bro.  I've applied your solution. Here I've disabled all of the ARM_ERRATA in menuconfig.

[ ] ARM errata: Stale prediction on replaced interworking branch
[ ] ARM errata: LoUIS bit field in CLIDR register is incorrect
[ ] ARM errata: TLBIASIDIS and TLBIMVAIS operations can broadcast a faulty ASID
[ ] ARM errata: possible faulty MMU translations following an ASID switch
[ ] ARM errata: no automatic Store Buffer drain
[ ] ARM errata: Data cache line maintenance operation by MVA may not succeed
[ ] ARM errata: A data cache maintenance operation which aborts, might lead to deadlock
[ ] ARM errata: TLBI/DSB failure on Cortex-A15
[ ] ARM errata: incorrect instructions may be executed from loop buffer
[ ] ARM errata: A12: some seqs of opposed cond code instrs => deadlock or corruption
[ ] ARM errata: A12: sequence of VMOV to core registers might lead to a dead lock
[ ] ARM errata: A12: DMB NSHST/ISHST mixed ... might cause deadlock
[ ] ARM errata: Cache maintenance by set/way operations can execute out of order
[ ] ARM errata: A17: DMB ST might fail to create order between stores
[ ] ARM errata: A17: some seqs of opposed cond code instrs => deadlock or corruption

And I think it doesn't get better. The performance is still not good. And maybe the root cause is the memory size. My total size of memory is 1GB...And I saw the avg memory usage is 850MB... Almost hit the 1GB...Maybe the best way is to increase the memory size..

Or is there minimum hardware requirement from NXP announcement to run the Android Pie for good user experience?   

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

yes, memory size may be reason, in general one can try to test the same configuration on nxp sabre sd

reference board.

Best regards
igor

ruei_chang
Contributor III

I've built the 1G and 2G image of imx6dl respectively.  Apparently, the 2G is working more better than 1G. But the performance of these two boards are still so terrible. The System UI sometimes show up the crashing message(System UI isn't not responding). This is not good... is there any imx6 dual lite EVB that you can give a a try?   

0 Kudos