How to fix the bug ENET throughput large than imx6dl's 400M limitation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix the bug ENET throughput large than imx6dl's 400M limitation

jerryzhai
Contributor II

In our project ethernet throughput test we get a result RX/TX  415/165 Mbit/s, it is definitely large than the 400M limitation as in the fsl imx6dl chip errata.

pastedImage_2.png

And also as described in the errata docu:

pastedImage_5.png

So, is our project in normal state, or if it is not, how to fix it, in other words how to enable pause frame.

And please give us a clear value about imx6dl ENET throughput performance:

single RX and single TX maximum performance, and also RX+TX total performance.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi jerry

this is hardware erratum so it is not possible to

fix it, recommended to migrate to SoloX where it is fixed.

Regarding ENET throughput performance, performance figures

depend on particular board design and software. Some figures

are given on

http://boundarydevices.com/i-mx6-ethernet/

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jerryzhai
Contributor II

Dear Igor:

Thank you for your reply.

But I want to clear your response:

Do you mean 1) : the imx6dl throughput  limitation as 400Mbit/s is a hardware erratum   OR

2) : The test throughput beyond the imx6dl ENET limitation is a hardware erratum and can not be fixed.

I also want to detail My question :

As my test result(in imx6dl platform) RX+TX 415/165 is beyond the imx6dl's theoretical maximum performance 470Mbit/s(as in spec: Chip Errata for the i.MX 6Solo/6DualLite), and it could cause some risk of ENET RX FIFO overrun(also as in the same spec).

question:  1) In what test environment , you judge the imx6dl's ENET throughput max performance is 470Mbit/s. And does this means imx6dl cannot get any higher                        performance in other test environment. Or to avoid ENET RX FIFO Overrun risk, you used some specific methods to control imx6dl ENET throughput                          and decreased it to 470Mbit/s. While if you use some control methods could you please tell us how to do it.

2) If the imx6dl have capability to get greater performance beyond the 470Mbit/s, why in spec just give a value as 470M.

3) As in spec, when throughput beyond 470M, In my case 415+165 is far beyond this limitation , I should enable Pause Frame to avoid the overrun risk.                         But How can i do it. Is this a HW or SW methods. And with this methods, does throughput can be controlled to decrease to 470M or not.

As I need give a clear response to my client. so I need some detail about this limitation especially in iMX6DL platform.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hi jerry

limitation 470Mbit/s (total for Tx and Rx) is a hardware erratum and

described in IMX6DQCE Chip Errata for the i.MX 6Dual/6Quad

p.81 ERR004512 ENET: 1 Gb Ethernet MAC (ENET) system limitation

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

jerryzhai
Contributor II

Dear Igor:

I Know limitation 470Mbit/s(total for Tx and Rx) is a hardware erratum.

That is why I have this question:  Since in the spec 470Mbit/s is the limitation, why in my test i can get this higher perfromance 415+165=580Mbit/s, this is far beyond the limitation 470Mbit/s.

Thanks

0 Kudos