How to enable graphics acceleration on iMX6SL (Buildroot + QT5)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable graphics acceleration on iMX6SL (Buildroot + QT5)?

jaripeltonen
Contributor IV

Hi,

I'm working on iMX6 SoloLite Evaluation board MCIMX6SLEVK + display MCIMX28LCD.

My SW environment is Buildroot 2017.02 with QT5 Webkit kiosk.

I am trying to get graphics acceleration (eglfs) working on my HW. I have done several experiments but no luck so far.

Basically I am trying to set the correct combination of config parameters in menuconfig.

I am able to start the Webkit browser with "linuxfb" plugin (command line option -platform linuxfb:fb=/dev/fb0), the web page opens up ok. But when trying to start the browser with "eglfs" plugin (-platform eglfs), it fails.

Currently the error message on terminal indicates following:

qt.qpa.egldeviceintegration: EGL device integration plugin keys: ("eglfs_viv")
qt.qpa.egldeviceintegration: EGL device integration plugin keys (sorted): ("eglfs_viv")
qt.qpa.egldeviceintegration: Trying to load device EGL integration "eglfs_viv"
qt.qpa.egldeviceintegration: Using EGL device integration "eglfs_viv"
qt.qpa.input: libinput: input device '20b8000.kpp', /dev/input/event0 is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
qt.qpa.input: libinput: input device '20b8000.kpp', /dev/input/event0 is a keyboard
qt.qpa.input: libinput: input device 'WM8962 Beep Generator', /dev/input/event1 not tagged as input device
qt.qpa.input: libinput: not using input device '/dev/input/event1'.
qt.qpa.input: Using xkbcommon for key mapping
xkbcommon: ERROR: failed to add default include path /usr/share/X11/xkb
Failed to create xkb context
No signal BREAK defined
QEGLPlatformContext: Failed to create context: 3005
EGLFS: Failed to create compositing context
Aborted

Thanks for any hint or advice you might have!

Best regards,

Jari Peltonen

0 Kudos
7 Replies

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In addition to Gary's reply please note that iMX6SL does not have VPU.

Have a great day,
Victor

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Can you copy/paste your Buildroot config to pastebin and send the link here?

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

jaripeltonen
Contributor IV

Hi Gary,

Please find the link below:

# # Automatically generated file; DO NOT EDIT. # Buildroot 2017.02 Configurati - Pastebin.com 

If you have problems in accessing the link, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jari

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Jari,

It seems that you miss the BR2_PACKAGE_IMX_GPU_VIV_G2D configuration to be able to leverage the 2D GPU of the i.MX6SL.

However I'm afraid the SoloLite doesn't allow you to have eglfs working anyway since it requires the OpenGL libraries (3D GPU) which isn't present in SoloLite processor.

meta-freescale/qtbase_%.bbappend at master · Freescale/meta-freescale · GitHub 

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

jaripeltonen
Contributor IV

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your advice!

I tried the update you proposed (enabled BR2_PACKAGE_IMX_GPU_VIV_G2D), but the behavior is the same as earlier, the same messages appear on the trace terminal and the web page is not loaded/opened.

So, is there anything else I could try? Any other way to enable graphics acceleration? Should I try some other platform than eglfs?

I guess this issue I'm having is not SW environment (i.e. Buildroot) specific, right?

Is graphics acceleration supported on other environments than Buildroot?

How is the graphics acceleration supposed to work on iMX6SL if there's the dependency you described (OpenGL, 3D GPU)?

Best regards,

Jari

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Jari,

As said in my previous reply, enabling G2D only allows use to use the 2D GPU from a specific app (like the Vivante examples) but will not solve the EGLFS issue since it isn't possible to solve.

I'm not sure what is your best option for Qt on SoloLite but it isn't a Buildroot issue, more of a hardware/plugin limitation. It seems that using X11 could provide some GL acceleration (but not GLES), however I've never tried it and will therefore not be able to help.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

jaripeltonen
Contributor IV

Hi Gary,

Thanks again for your fast reply, it clarified the issue a lot.

We will discuss this topic internally, and if any new questions arise, I will get back to you.

Regards,

Jari

0 Kudos