How to display splash screen on parallel LCD in u-boot (i.MX6S)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display splash screen on parallel LCD in u-boot (i.MX6S)

Jump to solution
lqw39
Contributor III

We are using 24-bit parallel LCD on i.MX6Q board, and can work normally with android system. But we cannot enable splash screen in u-boot.

How do I configure IPU in u-boot?

Thanks and regards

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
juangutierrez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Also, you can enable the debug traces by defining the DEBUG macro at include/common.h file

#define DEBUG 1

You should see some traces regarding the configuration of the IPU, and maybe will give you a clue if something is missing.

Also check that the Parallel monitor is being enabled. I mean in lvds you can check the backlight is there when uboot starts even before rendering the splash image. For your use case check If the LCD is on. If that is the missing part, you can check how kernel is enabling it.

Keep us post of your findings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
benoysaha
Contributor II

Hello Liu,

I am using a 24 bit parallel display in android. The display comes up but it is blur. I am using the following kernel command line parameter -

console=ttymxc0,115200 init=/init video=mxcfb0:dev=lcd,CLAA-WVGA,bpp=32,if=RGB24 video=mxcfb1:off video=mxcfb2:off fbmem=10M fb0base=0x27b00000 vmalloc=400M androidboot.console=ttymxc0 androidboot.hardware=freescale;boot

and using the kernel driver - drivers/video/mxc/mxc_lcdif.c with the following parameters -

static struct fb_videomode lcdif_modedb[] = {
        {
        "CLAA-WVGA", 60, 480,800, 39447, 60, 40, 2, 2, 20, 2,
        FB_SYNC_CLK_LAT_FALL,
        FB_VMODE_NONINTERLACED,
        0,},
       };

I have verified with the datasheet that these values are correct. As in your case the display working fine with android can you please help me to run my display.

Regards

Benoy

0 Kudos
juangutierrez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Also, you can enable the debug traces by defining the DEBUG macro at include/common.h file

#define DEBUG 1

You should see some traces regarding the configuration of the IPU, and maybe will give you a clue if something is missing.

Also check that the Parallel monitor is being enabled. I mean in lvds you can check the backlight is there when uboot starts even before rendering the splash image. For your use case check If the LCD is on. If that is the missing part, you can check how kernel is enabling it.

Keep us post of your findings.

0 Kudos
ramakrishnanven
Contributor II

Hi Juan Antonio,

Can you please say what configurations we have to make in Uboot to order to make HDMI work? We are also having some issue, We are able to get u-boot in hyper terminal, but we needed to get it in monitor. We are using a HDMI to VGA converter.

Also can u pls explain the mistake we made.

0 Kudos
juangutierrez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm not sure that HDMI is supported in u-boot right now. In that case HDMI driver should be included in the u-boot.

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, HDMI splashscreen is supported in mainline U-boot.

0 Kudos
juangutierrez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Oh, ok Thanks FabioEstevam

I have seen the splashscreen on u-boot for Android for LVDS display. I have not tried with HDMI, do you know if the u-boot splash screen is supported by HDMI?

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, HDMI splash works on recent U-boot. Android uses 2009.08, so no support on the old version.

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can check mx53loco/mx51evk boards in mainline U-boot as they support parallel display.

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please look at section 5.4 (Splash screen support) of the enclosed.

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Yuri, could you keep working on the discussion as the customer's issue is still there?

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I am out-of-office this week.

0 Kudos
lqw39
Contributor III

We are using 24-bit parallel LCD instead of LVDS, and I have also changed settings according to section 11 in "Android advanced user guide", which is similar with the doc you provided.

I think IPU should be re-configured, especially the clock.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Hello Qingwei,

Did you manage to get a parallel display working properly on the i.MX6 in u-boot?

Could you share your solution?

I notice that the question is marked as answered, but it is not really answered so it shouldn't be marked as a correct answer yet I think.

Thanks

B

0 Kudos
ujalakumar
Contributor II

Hi  Qingwei Liu,

I am also facing the same problem...!!     request your help and guidance.

We are also using the 24 bit parallel display instead of LVDS  and need to display splash image in U-Boot.   Although , i have done some configuration in U-Boot and the LCD is working with Android but i am not sure whether the settings are correct and sufficient.   Request you to pl. let me know  how have you configured your LCD and enaled the Splash display over it in U-Boot...

Thanks in Advance..

Ujala

0 Kudos
ramakrishnanven
Contributor II

Hi Ujala Kumar,

Can you please say what configurations you have made in Uboot to order to make HDMI work? We are also having same issue, We are able to get u-boot in hyper terminal, but we needed to get it in monitor. We are using a HDMI to VGA converter.

0 Kudos
zhanxiaozhang
Contributor III

also , I meet the sample problem.

I already enable

#define CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN

and  add env :

setenv splashimage ‘0x97c90000’

setenv splashpos ‘0,0’

setenv lvds_num 1

build without error.

without the splash env ,it can boot successfully,

But it hangs up when draw the splash screen logo.

I use sd card to store u-boot,emmc to store kerenl and rootfs ,env is stored in serial flash .

Can any one do help?

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Really LVDS display and EPDC are supported by i.MX6(Q/DL) U-boot, as stated in

uboot_mc6x.pdf.

Typically, the Uboot bootloader does not interact with any display

interface and does not have a splash screen displaying capability. To add this

feature to Uboot on i.MX6 platform, the IPU and MIPI drivers should be included

into the Uboot code. Looks like we do not have ready to use solution, say for the

HDMI or LCD.

As for LCD configuring it makes sense to use LCD settings from Linux driver.

0 Kudos