How to connect reference board to Automobile and is SWCAN available?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect reference board to Automobile and is SWCAN available?

RodneyFulk
Contributor III

Hello, I have some i.MX6 reference boards from Boundary Devices and I would like to try connecting them to my vehicle to look at CANBUS traffic.

Am I safe to just connect the ground, can+ and can- to the related ports in my car?

My Vehicle has 2 different bus types and I would like to be able to connect to either one. My assumption is that the boards as I have them will connect to the standard canbus without issue but in my late model GM vehicle it also has a low speed SWCAN (single wire can) bus as well. Does anyone make an i.MX6 board that I can purchase that can connect to both types of buses?

Ideally I would like a board with support for 2 CANBUS and 2 SWCAN connections. There is a RPi solution available that I have in my possession but I don't believe it would work well as designed with the i.MX boards even with a RPi compatible expansion connection.

I probably could have split this into two different questions but figured they were hopefully mostly related.

Rodney Fulk

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RodneyFulk
Contributor III

I know that these boards are used as the brains for navigation systems so I expect that someone is building one with the SWCAN?  Cadillacs new CUE navigation system for 2016 uses the i.mx6 processor as found on the reference boards. I don't have access to these but I expect that newer GM vehicles are still using SWCAN  for the entertainment bus? Thus my expectation that they are out there.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rodney

as board uses standard can transceiver chips, it is safe to

connect it to can car ports. As for SWCAN (single wire can),

I am afraid it is not supported by i.MX6 and I am not aware of

i.MX6 boards using it.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------