How to burn kernel image with UUU tool

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to burn kernel image with UUU tool

DIST_K
Contributor II

On page 2/21 of the UUU document (attached UUU.pdf NUMBER: 29213e9), there is the following statement and I have two questions.

Decompress rootfs image and burn into emmc (since 1.1.87)
 uuu -b emmc_all bootloader rootfs.sdcard.bz2

Q1. Will the above command burn the Kernel Image?

Q2. What kind of data is in the above rootfs.sdcard.bz2?
 Is the following data correct?
 Also, is QZIP or other compressed file format acceptable for the following files (1) through (3)?
 (1) image: Compressed image (zImage)
 (2) Device tree ****.dtb
 (3) rootfs : Compressed rootfs

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

This is a reply regarding UUU I have posted in the past, the documents are worth reading. 

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/Serial-download-for-manufacturing-tool/m-p/1497916#M193... 

In the link there is advice on using the UUU command itself. The Yocot images in now wic format which contain everything from UBoot, kernel and FS. To say anything more you'd have to state what board/SoC you are using..

Cheers.

Tags (1)

DIST_K
Contributor II

Thank you edwardtyrrell.

Your valuable advice is appreciated.

I will first read the documentation to confirm.

As for the current detailed situation

I am able to write u-boot to eMMC using uuuu and

I have confirmed that u-boot boots.

However, I am not sure how to write the following two items mentioned in the post with uuu.
I have posted a question.

(1) image: Compressed image (zImage)
 (2) Device tree ****.dtb

I am using Kernel version 4.14.98.

I think the above kernel version cannot be used for wic.
Am I wrong?

Target CPU: MCIMX6U5DVM10AC

0 Kudos

edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Kernel 4.14.98 might be a little old for wic, the later Yocto releases use wic. It seems like you are trying to flash individual parts? The wic image contains everything needed for a complete system in one chunk, uboot, dtb, kernel and FS and therefore everything is programmed into memory in one go; there is no seperating of individual parts ie flash uboot then kernel, then dtb etc. Very similar to flashing a sdcard image using dd.

What Yocto image are you using? I'm guessing 4.14.98 is something like Thud, Sumo, Rocko builds? What is your imx device? 

For older 4.14.98 - non wic - builds Iike an imx7d or imx28 I normall use the older MFGTool. It too programs everything at once into NAND or eMMc albeit a bit more work to set it up..  

In answer to your original question the sdcard image would normally contain everything needed to boot and run the system (uboot, kernel, dtb FS). You may also find there are Yocto hacks to build a wic image post building if your local.conf can't do it.

This is on page 4 of the doc in the other link regarding older images.

For older Yocto Revisions, the default name of the image ended in .sdcard, please use the following:

For .bz2 compressed images

sudo ./uuu/linux64/uuu -b emmc_img imx8mm/pico-imx8mm-flash.bin <path-to-image-to-flash> <image name>.sdcard.bz2

For decompressed images

cd imx-mfg-uuu-tool
sudo ./uuu/linux64/uuu -b emmc_img imx8mm/pico-imx8mm-flash.bin <path-to-image-to-flashflash> <image name>.sdcard

(Change paths and image names to suit) 

DIST_K
Contributor II

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.
I understand.

The Yocto image is using sumo.

The imx device is i.mx6 DualLite.

In Kernel 4.14.98, uuu was recommended instead of MFG tool.

So I used uuu.

At the time of Kernel 4.1, I used MFG tool and was able to write

It was possible to write.

I will try the information you described.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos

edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

According to this link Sumo was the first to offer wic, it might be worth adding the image type to your local.conf and trying. If your build produces a wic then UUU is very easy!

https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php/IMX8/iMX8MEVK/Yocto/Installing_an_Image 

build/local.conf

IMAGE_FSTYPES += " tar.bz2 sdcard wic"

DIST_K
Contributor II

Thank you very much.

I will try it.

Thank you very much for all your research.

0 Kudos