cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to boot from parallel nor flash on IMX6SoloLite

fisherhe
Contributor II

HI,

I use imx6sololite, and I have tested that my board can boot from SD card and SPI Flash, also I can read and write parallel nor flash(use EIM bus) when boot from SD card correctly.

But when I use MFG Tool to download the uboot and kernal to nor flash, it failed. I know that because the official EVK of imx6sololite has no paralled nor flash, and the MFG Tool

can't support ubooting from nor flash. And I found that IMX6Q-AUTO has paralled nor flash support. So the question is:

How to config a MFG Tool that can support parallel nor flash on IMX6Sololite?Or is anyone has tools already?

Also, a emergent way to solve the problem temporarily is to boot from SD card, then write the boot code to nor flash. I try that way, but when I wirte the boot code to flash,

switch the boot mode to flash boot. it failed too.Because the boot doesn't start, it can't get any information from UART, so I don't know where it stops.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Fisher

regarding non-booting, one can check boot connections in

Table 8-10. EIM IOMUX Pin Configuration i.MX6SL Reference Manual (rev.2  6/2015)

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/IMX6SLRM.pdf

For example non-muxed mode uses LCD_DAT pins and bus isolation buffers

should be used as shown on attached i.MX6SL EVK spf-27452 p.13 (U21-24).

It is recommended to check with oscilloscope nor signals.

Regarding mfg tools support one can reuse nor profile from sabre auto

configuration, rebuilding mfg tools firmware with specific board modifications:

ddr settings, nor support, e.t.c. For flashing nor one can look at attached Linux Guide

sect.4.4.1.4 Flashing U-Boot on Parallel NOR from U-Boot, for rebuilding mfg tools:

Yocto Guide sect.6.2 Manufacturing Tool, MFGTool.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

fisherhe
Contributor II

Hi,Igo,

Thank you for your reply!!

Because it is a emergent case, I use another way temporarily. Because I have boot SD card sucessfully, so first I boot from SD card,

and then download the boot image to nor flash, switch the boot mode to nor flash boot, restart the board. It fail to boot. And I found that

when the board power on, the CS0 signal was not be pulled low.I think the imx6sl doesn't find the correct boot device. But I have check

the pins to config the boot mode,that is, BOOT_MODE[1:0]--01, BOOT_CFG1[7:4]--0000, BOOT_CFG1[3]---0, BOOT_CFG2[7:6]---01.

I don't know what to do now. By the way,I can write and reda from nor flash(SST39VF3201C) correctly when boot from SD Card, but I have not added bus isolation buffers for nor flash. I find that CS0 doesn't need a isolation buffer.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Fisher

one can connect jtag and check boot settings in SRC_SBMR1,2

register. If it differs from configured, I would suggest to add isolation buffer.

~igor

0 Kudos

fisherhe
Contributor II

Hi,Igor,

Problem has been solved.

First, there is some hardware problem which cause the signal of EIM stop working.

Then, the software tool for downloading is not right.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos