How to add spidev to Yocto Linux for i.MX8M Mini

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add spidev to Yocto Linux for i.MX8M Mini

surrealist14
Contributor III

Hi, I am using a Variscite DART-MX8MM-SOM which has the i.MX8M Mini processor, along with the Variscite DARTcustomboard carrier.  I have some instructions from them on how to add spidev by modifying the .config and modifying the .dts files.

However, they seem to have you do these edits directly in the linux source.  I have created a new layer, and would like to know how to add a new recipe in that layer to build my Linux image using my modified defconfig and modified .dts file.

Can you please provide instructions for how and where to create the recipe (a .bbappend?) and use my own defconfig and fsl-imx8mm-var-dart.dts files instead of the ones from the standard Yocto distribution?

I am new to Yocto, and the learning curve is very steep, but I a way to quickly make sure that we can communicate with a couple of SPI devices, so I was forced to fall back to editing the Linux source for now, but I'd like to do it right.  I do not want to modify the normal distribution, so it seems like the "recommended" method is to add a .bbappend in your own custom layer/recipe, but I'm not able to figure out how to get this to work.

Thanks for your help!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Scott Whitney,

I’m not familiar with the Variscite BSP, which is probably build above NXP’s BSP, but answering from the Yocto standpoint, you may find the following Community Document useful. Although for a different kernel version and processor, the logic remains the same.

Adding the WF111 Driver to the i.MX6 Yocto BSP 

You would need to create the .bbappend file on the same path as on the layer in which the kernel recipe is stored, and include also the kernel version. As for the dts, you would need to add it to the list of device trees to be compiled and change the default bsp.

You may also find the Yocto Project BSP Developer’s Guide useful (link below for the Zeus release, I would recommend checking on which poky release is Variscite’s BSP based)  

Yocto Project Board Support Package Developer's Guide 

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos