Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How i.MX6 IPU capture "generic data"?

Jump to solution
satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi community,

I have a question about i.MX6 IPU.

Acctually, our patner consider inputting YUV420 data to IPU CSI.

But CSI does not support YUV420 capture, so CSI should capture YUV420 data as "generic data" in this case.

So I want to know how i.MX6 IPU capture "generic data" to explain for our partner.

Please see my question as below.

[Q1]

I think "generic data" does not have the concept of "line" and "frame" unlike camera data.

So VSYNC and HSYNC signals are ignored to capture "generic data", only pixel clock and data enable are used to capture it.

Is this correct?

[Q2]

I think "generic data" does not have the concecpt of "interval" also.

So if capture YUV420 data from camera as "generic data", all data including intervals are place to memory.

Is this correct?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satoshi, for generic data, it still need VSYNC or HSYNC, this depends on clock mode, VSYNC was needed for both gated clock mode and non-gated clock mode.

The witdh and height information was still needed for IDMAC, because it needs to capture data into memory buffer.

The only difference for generic data capture, the data can only go through CSI->MEM path. No on the fly process can be used.

The followed is an example to capture RGB565 input on 16bits CSI interface as generic data.

How to Support RGB565 Gated Mode Input to i.MX6 CSI

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satoshi

regarding "interval" handling one can look at

IMX6DQRM 37.4.3.4 Sensor Image Frame Relations

Also below document may be helpful

A Deep Dive into Image Processing for i.MX 6 Series Applications Processors[1]

Best regards

igor

qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satoshi, for generic data, it still need VSYNC or HSYNC, this depends on clock mode, VSYNC was needed for both gated clock mode and non-gated clock mode.

The witdh and height information was still needed for IDMAC, because it needs to capture data into memory buffer.

The only difference for generic data capture, the data can only go through CSI->MEM path. No on the fly process can be used.

The followed is an example to capture RGB565 input on 16bits CSI interface as generic data.

How to Support RGB565 Gated Mode Input to i.MX6 CSI

0 Kudos
satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi Qiang Li,

> The only difference for generic data capture, the data can only go through CSI->MEM path.

According to your reply, in the case YUV420 data is captured as generic data, the stored YUV420 data on memory is usable for GPU or VPU without any conversion.

Is my understanding correct?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, if the input is YUV420, for generic data capture, in memory, it will also be YUV420.

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi Qiang Li,

Thank you for your reply.

Its good information, thank you!

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos