How does IMX.6QP boot from SD card?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does IMX.6QP boot from SD card?

aydinalci
Contributor II

Hello, I bought a IMX.6QP SABRE module just a few days ago and there is no SD card to boot it inside of the pack which is the delivered.

So i am tring to boot it with my personal SD card and i downloaded latest BSP filse from the internet and i copied to SD card then i followed the instruction from the User Starter Guide but i did not succeed it. So please, give me some advice what should i do with my personal SD card and Windows OS dekstop?.

Thanks.

7 Replies

aydinalci
Contributor II

Hello,

When i am tring to operate my board(IMX6QP Sabre Aoutomotive) for booting from SD card, the lock detect led on the board(blue one) is also illuminated too with other leds. So may my board be locked? and what wuold it be happended? (I have not succeed to boot it from SD card yet by the way)

Thanks.

art

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I have checked, seems that this version of MFGtool does not support the QuadPlus processor yet. So, the only way to make the bootable SD card is to run the virtual Linux machine on top of Windows, download the pre-built images for the QuadPlus processor (check for the L4.1.15_1.0.0_MX6QDPSABRESD package under the Board Support Packages section):

SABRE Board Reference Design|NXP

and prepare the SD card as described in the Section 4.3 of the User's Guide document above.

Artur

0 Kudos

aydinalci
Contributor II

Hello Artur,

Now i am trying it with Ubuntu on virtual machine. And i downloanded BSP files you suggested above. But there were no files in image format just zImage, u-boot and fls files are existed in the folder(i attached the picture below about it).

NXP_BSP.PNG

So in this case, should i skip 4.3.2 part of the document you shared above and do i have to set up partitions manually to SD card according to 4.3.3 part and rest of the following instructions?

Or, should i compile these files to make it in image format and then to copy to SD card ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You have to skip the Section 4.3.2 and follow 4.3.3 and below.

Artur

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please refer to attached document. For Windows PC, you can either use the MfgTool software (as described in the Section 4.2 "Manufacturing Tool" of the attached document), available for download on the NXP web site (check for the IMX6_L4.1.15_1.1.0_MFG_TOOL package under the "Programmers (Flash, etc.)" section):

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

or run some Linux virtual machine on top of Windows environment and prepare an SD card as described in the Section 4.3 "Preparing an SD/MMC card to boot" of attached document.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

aydinalci
Contributor II

Hello Artur,

Firstly thanks for your kindly explanation.

I have some questions about the procedure i have done.

I am using IMX.6QuadPlus SABRE board for Automotive Infotaintment and there was no sd card inside of the package for the first booting when it was delivered to me. So i am trying to boot it from Windows PC. Let me explain my booting procedure step by step and please you alert me if i made anything is wrong.

1 - I checked cfg.ini and UICfg.ini files but i didn't  make change anything inside of them. So are they need  to anything is change for my board decribed above. If they are, please can you indicate what they should be for the begining ?

2 - So i followed the procedure like that, i connected a USB cable from the computer to USB - OTG port on the board. And i connected a USB cable from the OTG to UART port to the computer for console output.

3 - Then i opened the my terminal emulator program(i am using PuTTY)

4 - Then i set the boot pin on the board to MFGTOOL Mode according to Serial Download Mode. (S3 dip switch -> only D2 is on, rest of them are off)

5 - Then i opened the mfgtool.v2. It run but durring the proccest i was stopped the action. You can see the picture is attached below and also there was no action on my serial terminal monitor on the PC.

All during the procces SD card is installed on the board and other dip switches are in default settings.

3.PNG

0 Kudos

saurabh206
Senior Contributor III

Hi

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_1.1.0_LINUX_DOCS&location=null&fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Su...

go though above document.

I provides all the detail which are required  to setup build process and start board.

Thanks

Saurabh