How do we get the mx6ull evk to boot from QSPI NOR flash?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we get the mx6ull evk to boot from QSPI NOR flash?

djregan
Contributor III

Hello,

We have followed Yocto fsl-yocto-L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga instructions for targeting a new Yocto build for the mx6ull evk, and targeted the image for QSPI1 NOR flash.

We have successfully produced a new u-boot-imx image file. We were also able to use the JTAG interface on the mx6ull EVK through a Segger JLink Plus and Segger's 'JFlash' application. Using the 'JFlash' we can upload the u-boot-imx image file to 0x6000 0000 offset by 0x1000.

Unfortunately... we were not able to get the NXP mx6ull EVK to boot through NOR flash while there is no SD card installed.

A few questions...

1st question... Is there an app note that outlines the adjustments needed to make the NXP mx6ull evk to boot from QSPI NOR flash instead of the default SD card image boot? ...are there specific efuse adjustments need to be performed to transition the mx6ull evk from SD card booting to NOR flash booting (U303 on the evk's carrier module)?

2nd question... Mfgtool appears to reference a NOR flash config file "norconfig=qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config". Where is this file located? What is it's specific name? Note: This assumption comes from review of the script file 'mfgtool2-yocto-mx-14x14-arm2-qspi-nor-ull.vbs'.

3rd question... Is it likely that the reason we cannot boot from the mx6ull evk's NOR flash because the 1st 0x1000 of the QSPI NOR flash needs to be preinitialized with this "qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config" data that is referenced by the Mfgtool script file mentioned in question above?

4th question... Is it possible for NXP to share the default preferred 1st 0x1000 bytes of NOR flash image data for the NXP mx6ull evk? Note: Referring to the NOR flash data visible from 0x6000 0000 ...to... 0x6000 1000.

Thanks much in advance...

--DJ Regan

Labels (1)
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Reagan

1. please check Boot Chapter of i.MX6ULL Reference Manual

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6ULLRM.pdf 

one can flash the QSPI nor flash from TFTP (tested on i.MX6UL EVK):

use tftp command in uboot command shell prompt:

tftp ${loadaddr} "u-boot-qspi.imx"

Then "sf probe" -> "sf erase 0x0 0x80000" ->"sf write ${loadaddr} 0x1000  0x80000"

tftp  0x90000000 "qspi-header.bin"

->"sf write 0x90000000  0x400  0x200"

2.  "norconfig=qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config" is in folder ..Profiles/Linux/OS Firmware/files

3. yes

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bentales
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Do you have a bin file for macronix, AFAIK that's only for micron?

BR,

Ben

0 Kudos

djregan
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

For 1. I owe you an apology. I was not clear when I stated our 'mx6ull evk will not boot from NOR flash without a SD card'. What I should have stated was... u-boot itself will not begin to be loaded. There are no 'life signs' from the debug console whatsoever. So, it seems as though the IMX6ULL execution never reaches the first 'printf' to the console.

For 2. Found it. Exactly the correct location. Thanks sir!

For 3. I will try using Segger JFlash to preinitialize our mx6ull evk NOR flash with the data from 'qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config'

Appreciate all your help sir!

Thanks Igor!

--DJ Regan

0 Kudos