cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can one take a screenshot on Poky Yocto Linux Distro

Jump to solution
kriszawada
Contributor III

I am trying to take a screenshot using the "PrtScn" button on my keyboard with the Freescale SABRE i.MX6 Software development board that was programmed with the following image:

fsl-L3.14.28_1.0.0_iMX6qdls_Bundle/L3.14.28_1.0.0_ga_images_MX6/fsl-image-qt5-x11-imx6qdlsolo.sdcard

This gives me the following version of Linux:

sh-4.3# cat /proc/version

Linux version 3.14.28-1.0.0_ga+g91cf351 (jenkins@scmbl1) (gcc version 4.9.1 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 20 21:49:03 CST 2015

sh-4.3# cat /etc/issue

Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.7 \n \l

Why does the screen shot functionality not work?  Is there a way to take a screen shot by calling a command in the terminal?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In the console type

export DISPLAY=:0

screenshot abc.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In the console type

export DISPLAY=:0

screenshot abc.png

0 Kudos
kriszawada
Contributor III

Thank you, this works really great.

It works from the device as well as the USB-to-UART debug terminal connection.  It is very helpful.

I've got a USB keyboard connected to the USB OTG port on the board.  The USB keyboard has a USB hub on it where I have connected the mouse which works great.  I've also tried connecting a USB flash drive to the keyboard, but I don't see Poky mounting this USB drive under /media or /mnt directory.  Do you know how to manually figure out if Freescale SABRE i.MX 6 can see this device?

I'm trying to transfer the screenshot to a USB drive.

0 Kudos
BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

actually, when you plugin a device it will print out, even it is connected through a hub.

oot@imx6qsabresd:/unit_tests# usb 2-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ci_hdrc

usb-storage 2-1.4:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected

scsi3 : usb-storage 2-1.4:1.0

scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic  Flash Disk       8.07 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4

sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] 31457280 512-byte logical blocks: (16.1 GB/15.0 GiB)

sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off

sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

sda:

sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

Maybe you have some changes in the kernel make it slient.

you can type  echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk to get the printk to print out more information. please make sure you haven't disabled the printk in kernel. By default, it is enabled.

to check if the i.MX6 see the device.

you also can  type dmesg.

for hotplug  you need to configure the udev configuration file

/etc/udev/udev.conf

0 Kudos
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Kris Zawada,

The print screen button is not supported on the available images. You would need to add the support for this feature.

I would recommend looking for available applications that can be added to your Linux distribution. For example, as part of the FSL Release BSP you may find the sato-screenshot package that can be added although I haven’t tested it.

You may find more information on this specific package on the link below. You would need a simple capture utility similar to this one.

http://recipes.yoctoproject.org/rrs/recipedetail/802/

0 Kudos