How can I test MIPI OLED1 display panel on i.MX 8M Mini DDR4 EVK?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I test MIPI OLED1 display panel on i.MX 8M Mini DDR4 EVK?

cpark22
Contributor I

Recently I purchased i.MX 8M Mini DDR4 EVK (not LPDDR4 EVK) board.

I could test the board using HDMI display, and prebuilt android 9 image booted fine on the display. 

I also purchased MIPI OLED1 display panel. 

To make MIPI OLED1 display panel, I saw couple of things that I need to do or enable on official NXP android guide and on many community posts.  

As far as I know, there are two ways to enable MIPI panel display: (1) Uboot settings or (2) Flashing MIPI panel specific images. None of these could enable the MIPI OLED1 display panel. 

Uboot settings:

1) found from community posts

U-Boot > setenv fdt_file fsl-imx8mm-ddr4-evk-rm67191.dtb

U-Boot > saveenv

2) found from official android guide              

U-Boot > setenv bootargs console=ttymxc1,115200 earlycon=ec_imx6q,0x30890000,115200 init=/init                                        androidboot.console=ttymxc1 androidboot.hardware=freescale cma=800M@0x400M-0xb80M                                        androidboot.primary_display=imx-drm firmware_class.path=/vendor/firmware                                        transparent_hugepage=never androidboot.wificountrycode=CN androidboot.lcd_density=213

U-Boot > setenv append_bootargs androidboot.selinux=permissive

U-Boot > saveenv

Flashing MIPI panel specific images:

- to flash MIPI panel specific images I have to pass specific options when running uuu flashing script as below:

$ sudo ./uuu_imx_android_flash.sh -f imx8mm -t sd -u ddr4 -d mipi-panel

- Above option looks for below two files in the path:

dtbo-imx8mm-mipi-panel.img

vbmeta-imx8mm-mipi-panel.img

- However, a problem is both prebuilt image zip files and manually android builds do not have above files if I build             for my board version (iMX8MM DDR4 EVK). If I build for regular IMX 8MM EVK (not DDR4 version), it generates             above files. I tried the images (built for IMX 8MM EVK), and it doesn't work, which is obvious. 

- If I flash non MIPI panel version images, it works fine with HDMI display. 

Questions:

1. Is there anyone who already tested MIPI OLED1 display on i.MX 8MM DDR4 EVK?

2. Is there any step that I missed in all the things that I tried above?          

3. It seems that i.MX 8MM DDR4 EVK builds should also have MIPI panel version images for dtbo and vbmeta files          mentioned above. Does this mean that MIPI panel is currently not supported for my board (iMX8MM DD4 EVK)?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You need to choose the u-boot and all other images with ddr4.

For the MIPI-DSI OLED Display you need to refer to the documents Android_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf and AN12189MX8-DSI-OLED1.pdf.

https://community.nxp.com/message/1161251?commentID=1161251#comment-1161251 Will do help for you.

0 Kudos