Heat sink on IMX8M

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat sink on IMX8M

vadimaleynikov
Contributor III

Does NXP recommend using a heat sink with the IMX8M? If yes, which type is recommended?

Best regards,

Vadim Aleynikov

0 Kudos
10 Replies

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can refer to "i.MX 8M Quad Power Consumption Measurement" Application Note
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/nxp/application-notes/AN12118.pdf
regarding to estimation of heat dissipation.

Also please refer to "i.MX 6 Series Thermal Management Guidelines" Application Note:
http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/application-notes/AN4579.pdf
for thermal estimations implementation.

Have a great day,
Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

vadimaleynikov
Contributor III

Hello Victor,

Actually you haven't answered my questions:

"Does NXP recommend using a heat sink with the IMX8M? If yes, which type is recommended?"

The AN12118.pdf states that the IMX8M power consumption can be as high as 3.82W, so under 30 centigrade ambient, the IMX8M junction temperature can be calculated as 93.4 centigrade, which is almost equal to the maximum IMX8M allowable value (95 centigrade). But the NXP documentations don't provide any recommendation on cooling the IMX8M.

Which heat sink is preferable for using with the IMX8M?

Which heat sink is safe to use with the IMX8M bare die package?

Best regards,

Vadim Aleynikov

0 Kudos

bastiann
Contributor I

I am especially interested in the maximum force the heatsink can press onto the processor. Is there any documentation on that?

0 Kudos

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Also you can refer EVK board design that has a radiator:
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX8MDQLQEVKHUG.pdf

0 Kudos

vadimaleynikov
Contributor III

Hello Victor,

This User Guide doesn't contain data on the heatsink. The only mention about heatsink is the following:

It is strongly recommended to install fans on the heatsink to avoid any potential damages to the PCBA. You can get fans from www.nxp.com/i.MX8M.

The aforementioned link points to the main i.MX8M page which doesn't contain data either on fan or heatsink.

Best regards,
Vadim

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

on EVK boards with recent release chips, there is no fan anymore, only passive cooling.
This is why the fan requirement is considered as obsolete and that may be the reason why

you cannot find it on the web.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

vadimaleynikov
Contributor III

Hello,

On the NXP EVK, which we have, the iMX8M in the "VO" package (with a metal lid) is assembled and a mysterious " MBF25004" heat sink is used. In the current iMX8M datasheets, the only "VA" bare die package is available. 

If using a heatsink on the bare die package is safe? If yes, which heatsink can be safely used?

Best regards,

Vadim

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

vadimaleynikov
Contributor III

Hello Yuri,

This design is well known fo me but unfortunately its BOM doesn't contain usable data on the processor heatsink. The processor/heatsink BOM row is as follows:

750-77879U101MIMX8MQ6DVAJZAA + MBF25004-15W/2.0P+T725 A1SUBASSEMBLY, IC CPU QUAD CORTEX A53+M4 1.5GHZ BGA621 + HEAT SINK, PUSH PIN BLACK ALUMINUM 14MMSUBASSEBLY330-77069,901-76977bga621_heatsink

The number  in the first cell (750-77879) is an internal NXP number.

Searching for either MBF25004 and 30-77069 and 901-76977 doesn't result in any heatsink.

Best regards,

Vadim

0 Kudos

Sak_ed
Contributor I
Is there any further information regarding heat sink? we too are designing our product based on I.MX 8mplus processor and our ambient temperature will be 70 degree, could NXP suggest any standard Heat sink part ?
0 Kudos