Has anyone built the mainstream U-boot and gotten it to boot the freescale provided kernel?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone built the mainstream U-boot and gotten it to boot the freescale provided kernel?

blsousan
Contributor III

All,

I need additional U-boot features than the ones provided in the freescale version of U-boot.  I have got the latest U-boot source and compiled it for the iMX28evk.  The new U-boot seems to work fine.  However, when it goes to start the kernel I just get:

Uncompressing kernel... done,  booting the kernel.

And nothing else.  I'm using the same kernel with both the original Uboot from freescale and the one I just built.  The original U-boot boots it just fine.

Thanks,

Bills

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

We've been using mx28evk with  Yocto, with mainline u-boot, for quite sometime ... so it really seem to be the console. Check the whole env as you might be using the wrong bootargs.

0 Kudos

OtavioSalvador
Senior Contributor II

You need to use ttyAM for default FSL kernel and ttyAMA for mainline. You seem to use FSL kernel so change console variable.

0 Kudos

blsousan
Contributor III

Thanks.  Yes I tried that previously (using ttyAMA0 - found it in another post) and it did not make a difference.  I'm not sure about using the mainline Linux kernel.  I was referring to the mainline U-boot with the existing kernel.  However, I may try it with a mainline Kernel (just hope this does not  "ripple" through and end up needed to upgrade a bunch of packages)

Thanks,

Bills

0 Kudos

ThomasWaldecker
Contributor I

Hi Bills,

you need to change the console for Linux from console=ttyAM0,115200 to console=ttyAMA0,115200

Also note the wiki page at: http://imxdev.org/wiki/index.php?title=Running_a_mainline_kernel_on_a_MX28EVK_board

(easily found with google)

Kind regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos