Hardware acceleration in the browser?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware acceleration in the browser?

NeilSimpson
Contributor I

Good morning everyone, I am new to the forum and hope to become a regular.

I have an i.MX53 QSB and my application needs to run a web browser.  I have Ubuntu Lucid installed and so have Firefox 3 and Chromium, but I would love to be able to use hardware acceleration to help with rendering animated elements (like a scrolling text window, for example).  I think this should be possible using OpenGL, but I am not sure whether to try building Firefox 4 and try to make it use OpenGL, or try Qt and build a webkit based browser.  I would be very grateful for any advice from anyone on this.  The other option is change OS....

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

NeilSimpson
Contributor I

Thanks to you both for the replies.

If I run Firefox (3.6.18) from the terminal and try a webgl demo page the page shows an error saying I don't have webgl in my browser.  I do not see any log in the working directory.

I am not really sure if I need webgl because it looks like it is for 3D effects -  I don't want 3D, I just want to use GPU acceleration to help render animated 2D effects like transitions and text animation (scrolling).

Is there a pre-built Firefox 4 for this platform, or do I have to build it from source?  Has anyone done this and made it work?

0 Kudos

PrabhuSundarara
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Are you trying to use WebGL for HW acceleration? Firefox 4.0 and above will support for WebGL. Not sure how much Firefox WebGL supported on Ubuntu ARM.
0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you want to accelerate the browser?

Can you, please, make one simple test. Please, open Firefox from some terminal, then look if you can see any GPU log.

I can´t remember how much was hardware accelerated into Firefox code. But I suppose this kind of support is provided by kernel. If kernel receives any 3D command it will decide if the function is HW or SW.

0 Kudos