cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard-disk build space requirements for Yocto project

debasish_deka
Contributor I

Hi,

I just started with building Yocto project from its Quick Start manual​. What made made me stare was 50 GB minimum space requirement.

Do I really need that much ? If so why ? And if not minimum how much is required ?

Please do not ask me questions like if I don't have even 50 GB in my PC  or how come there is so much less space in my PC. The fact is I have dual booted with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I didn't expect such huge space requirement so at the time of installation I kept only about 32 GB for Ubuntu. Considering 4-5 GB with Ubuntu system I have now only about 25 GB space with Ubuntu.

However I can still the Windows drives from Ubuntu. Is it possible for me to use these windows drives for installing Yocto in my Ubuntu PC ?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

This is correct – Yocto approach requires much resources : DRAM memory

and disk space. From  section 3 (Host Setup) in “Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf”
of the recent FSL / NXP Linux BSP :

“An important consideration is the hard disk space required in the host machine. For example,
when building on a machine running Ubuntu, the minimum hard disk space required is about 50 GB
for the X11 backend. It is recommended that at least 120 GB is provided, which is enough to compile
all backends together.”

My experience : It was needed to use 64-bit Linux host (Debian 8.2 in my case) with 6GB of DRAM

and 150 GB disk space to build QT5.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos