I would like to use gstreamer (I am new to gstreamer) in qsb. But in the current rootfs - it is not there. (I use the rootfs, that came along with the kit)
One of our thread shown that to use gstreamer we need to use ubuntu rootfs.
From where can i download the ubuntu rootfs? kindly suggest.
In this link you will find the image of the debian distribution I'm using on my iMX53 board.
I had to break it on 5 pieces in order to upload it, you will need to use 7zip to put it back together.
BTW, the credentials to enter debian are:
Sorry for the late response, I will take sometime this weekend to upload an image of the Debian build I'm using, it already has the gstreamer plugins, so no need to build them.
I downloaded the ubuntu from free scale website only.
I am not strictly want to use ubuntu, Debian also OK to me.
if you have the respective source of linux kernel and rootfs, kindly let me know. I will try with Debian with LXDE.
I am just confused, which one is better to select.
thanks for your help.
I would not know what version of Ubuntu you are running or from where did you download it, if you share the link maybe we can see what features does it have and also understand better the issues you have with it.
If what you want is a desktop environment, from my experience the best option for the iMX53 QSB is Debian with LXDE, it performs faster than the Ubuntu distributions and you can install a lot of software using 'apt-get' or 'aptitude'.
But if you still want to go with Ubuntu, beside the one you find in the QSB downloads section, you can download an Ubuntu release for the QSB from here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/MX5
thanks for the detailed reply.
I understand the installation of gstreamer from your reply.
But, I have query on 'running UBUNTU OS on IMX53QSB".
I have checked in the freescale website, and got image for ubuntu os.
my query is, do I need to change kernel source and/or rootfs to support desktop/window based environment.
Also, for ubuntu os, do u have/know from where to download linux source (imx53qsb) for that?
Sorry for not being explicit on how to install the gstreamer plugins, hope the following instructions help:
- Kindly go to this link http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX53QSB&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab#
There find the 'Codecs and other Algorithms (2)' tab, there you will see a file to download titled IMX53_11_09_LINUX_MMCODECS please download it.
- un-compress the file, it will create a directory structure.
I will explain the steps I followed to install the gstreamer plugins on Debian squeeze:
- in the directories the downloaded file created go to: IMX_MMCODECS_11.09/Documentation/Linux_Multimedia_Framework_Docs_MX53Ubuntu_2.0.3/Linux_Multimedia_Framework_Docs_MX53Ubuntu_2.0.3/docs
- there you will find a file named 'Linux_Multimedia_Framework_User_Guide.pdf' please open it.
- now go to section '1.2 Installing/Building the Plugins on Ubuntu' those are the instructions we will follow.
- Since gstreamer 0.10.28 is required, we will need to uninstall gstreamer 0.10.30 that come with debian squeeze. And then download and build gstreamer 0.10.28
- Also you will need to install imx-lib Debian package (version>=11.05.00) and firmware-imx Debian package (version>=11.05.00). I you have LTIB you can find them easily there, if not try a google search.
- Then follow all the 17 steps explained on '1.2 Installing/Building the Plugins on Ubuntu'. (I think I skipped step 11, you can run it but if it fails don't worry and continue with step 12)
- Reboot your iMx53 board (for some reason Gstreamer would not find the plugins without a reboot)
- to verify run 'gst-inspect' on a console and it should show the freescale gstreamer plugins.
In the thread you have mentioned, the image files are there.
what I am asking is that, is there the linux source - that we will compile and use.
I hope the desktop based working option, is depends on the root file system, not the kernel source. Am I right?
correct me if my understanding is wrong.
I'm also not using LTIB, I and think Ubuntu is a big heavy for my QSB. So I'm using Debian squeeze, there I have aptitude, apt-get and dpkg support, also I installed the LXDE desktop since it is not very heavy.
For instructions on how to build it kindly find a lengthy response I made here -> http://imxcommunity.org/group/imx53quickstartboard/forum/topics/run-ubuntu-on-imx53-board?xg_source=...
And to build the gstreamer plugins LTIB is not necessary, on the documents that are found on IMX53_11_09_LINUX_MMCODECS it shows two ways of how to build the gstreamer plugins, one using LTIB and one without LTIB. And additionally a way to install it on Ubuntu.
thaks for the reply.
I am not using LTIB and I directly use menuconfig for linux kernel, in that case, there is no gstreamer options in menuconfig options.
so how to proceed on this?
currently I am using rootfs - rootfs_imx.tar came along with kit.
this rootfs is not having aptitude, apt-get or dpkg command support
You can find binaries for Ubuntu and the source if you want to compile the gstreamer plugins, in the following link:
Codecs and other Algorithms > IMX53_11_09_LINUX_MMCODECS
You will find the instructions to install or build, inside the docs/ directory that is in the tar file.
I am not using LTIB, I am independently compiling the uboot, linux and rootfs. Thats why I asked for ubuntu rootfs.
In that case, can you give pointers to use gstreamer?
I think you don't need Ubuntu to insert gstream, just add in LTIB, but if you don't have expertise download Ubuntu rootfs here
Select Board Support Package -> MX53_QSB_UBUNTU_SD_DEMO_IMAGE