cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with i.MX6 SABRE board

husnain_kazmi
Contributor I

Hi,

Newbie here, so apologies in advance if that sounds stupid.

I am an embedded developer having worked mostly with microcontrollers. For a project I am working on, I need to calculate the read/write speed for the NAND flash present on the i.MX SABRE board with an MCIMX6U6AVM08AC processor. The board as an SD card with all the bootable stuff on it, so it is booting from the SD card and running Linux.

Can you guide me how that can be done in the simplest manner possible? Thanks.

Regards,

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Syed Muhammad Husnain Kazmi,

There is no such thing as a stupid question!

I would like to confirm which board you are using as the NXP i.MX6 SABRE board does not have NAND flash present. The SABRE AI does have a NAND footprint, but it is also not populated.

As for how to calculate the real read/write speed for a NAND flash memory, there are a couple of alternatives.

You could use the dd command to write to the NAND flash and it will show the speed at which it was written. This is done on the following document to compare speeds, perhaps this document will be useful:

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-334290

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

husnain_kazmi
Contributor I

Hi gusarambula‌,

I am using THIS board. You are right, it has a NAND socket but no NAND on it. I have ordered the NAND chip and it will arrive in the next few days. In the meantime, I'd like to do the background work.

To use the dd command, there needs to be a rootfs on the NAND, right? How can it be accomplished? All my boot images (Kernel, rootfs, etc.) are on the SD card. Or can I just write on the physical address of NAND?

Do I need to build a new Yocto image? Any beginners guide for that? (Yocto/BSP etc.)

Thanks.

Regards,

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Syed Muhammad Husnain Kazmi,

My apologies for the delay! The easiest way to load an image to the NAND memory is through the Manufacturing Tool. You don’t mention which image you want to load but each BSP Release has a corresponding manufacturing tool. Please download it and in the included scripts there is a NAND script.

You can find the BSP Images and the Manufacturing Tool for each on the link below:

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/linux-software-and-development-too...

For example, if you are using the L4.1.15_2.1.0-ga BSP you can download the corresponding Manufacturing Tool on the following link:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=IMX_L4.1.15_2.1.0_MFG_TOOL&appType=license

Inside you will find the documentation on how to use the tool. But you would be using the mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabreauto-nand.vbs or mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabreauto-nand-cpu3.vbs script depending on which board you are using.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

husnain_kazmi
Contributor I

Anyone??

0 Kudos