Getting started with building Yocto project BSP's for I.mx6ULL

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with building Yocto project BSP's for I.mx6ULL

srishan
Contributor III

I am using MCIMX6ULL-EVK|i.MX6ULL Evaluation Kit|NXP as the reference kit for my custom design

1. Can I use Host setup Ubuntu 16.04 32-bit machine for doing yocto build setup for MCIMX6ULL-EVK:I.MX6 ULL applications processor?
  2. I am using https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.9.11_1.0.0_iMX6UL7D&appType=license as the prebuilt images for MCIMX6ULL-EVK:I.MX6 ULL applications processor
  3. I am planning to use linux kernel version L4.9.11_1.0.0_iMX6UL7D for my I.Mx6 ULL as the BSPs sources which needs to be built with yocto build setup, may I know does L4.9.11_1.0.0_iMX6UL7D using linu kernel version 4.9?
  4. I am referring to "fsl-yocto-L4.9.11_1.0.0" docs, where in the "i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide" I have executed the steps mentioned in the section no's 3, 4 and 5 on my Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit machine, but in the build configurations i am not able to find the imx6ull14x14evk, as per the logs attached below
  5. And after the above step, may I know which is the "freescale yocto project image" mentioned in section 5.2, that i need to select so that it contains RTSP, web serverapp libraries, Audio via HTML 5, streaming web Radio applcations for my applications??
  6. I hope since there is no NAND flash chip mounted in MCIM6ULL-EVK, is my assumption is correct? may I know the NAND flash chip size and make that can be mounted in the foot print externally if it is not mounted?
  7. May I know how NAND flash can be programmed with uboot, kernel and rootfs?
  8. I would like to go initially with SD card, may I know which is the confirgurations that I need to choose for booting from SD card initially as mentioned in section number 5.5 ?, adn then move onto NAND
  9. May I know what is the next build setup procedure that needs to executed to get built images of u-boot, linux kernel, rootfs for "L4.9.11_1.0.0_iMX6UL7D" version?
Labels (5)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

srishan
Contributor III

Dear Gusarambula,

Could you please provide some inputs in resolving the above error, as I am stuck with the above errors till now no clues in proceeding further

Kindly do the needful as early as possible

Many Thanks in advance,

Awaiting for your replies

0 Kudos

srishan
Contributor III

Dear Gusarambula,

Could you please address this Query with HIGH URGENCY

Thanks in advance,

Sri

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Sri Shan,

The recommended host OS is Ubuntu 14.04 so I would strongly encourage you to use this Ubuntu version as the BSP has been tested for this OS.

You will see on the i.MX Yocto Project User’s Guide on section 3 (Host Setup) that some errors have been reported by Ubuntu 16.04 and there is a recommended fix.

From the log it looks like you are doing a repo initialization to an older BSP. Please review the repo initialization and make sure you use the commands on the L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga i.MX Yocto Project User’s Guide.

You can add packages to your image using Yocto, but you would need to provide the layers that contain packages not available on the BSP.

The footprint is for a TSOP48 NAND. I would recommend looking at the EVK Design Files for a closer look to the footprint and connections. Maybe the following thread on how to configure the NAND may be of help:

https://community.nxp.com/message/915666

Section 5.5 have the configurations to create a bootloader that will boot from each of the available options. The SD option is set by default so if you will boot from SD you can do so with the default bootloader.

You can use the Manufacturing Tool to flash the NAND. Please make sure to download the Manufacturing Tool for the 4.9.11_1.0.0 BSP.

You can build a complete image (which will also build the bootloader, device trees and kernel) by following sections 5.2 and 5,3 of the i.MX Yocto Project User’s Guide. Once you switch to the correct repo initialization these commands should work for the i.MX6ULL EVK.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

srishan
Contributor III

Hi Gusarambula,

Thanks a lot for your prompt responses,

As am newbie to yocto build system

1. Now I have changed the repo to the latest version ie., to repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-morty"

2. After the above step, I ran the below command

"DISTRO=fsl-imx-X11 MACHINE=imx6ull14x14evk source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-x11"

3. After accepting the Eula

Do you accept the EULA you just read? (y/n)       y
EULA has been accepted.

Welcome to Freescale Community BSP

The Yocto Project has extensive documentation about OE including a
reference manual which can be found at:
    http://yoctoproject.org/documentation

For more information about OpenEmbedded see their website:
    http://www.openembedded.org/

You can now run 'bitbake <target>'

Common targets are:
    core-image-minimal
    meta-toolchain
    meta-toolchain-sdk
    adt-installer
    meta-ide-support

Your build environment has been configured with:

MACHINE=imx6ull14x14evk
    SDKMACHINE=i686
    DISTRO=fsl-imx-X11
    EULA=
BSPDIR=
BUILD_DIR=.
meta-freescale directory found

~/fsl-release-bsp/build-x11$ bitbake core-image-minimal
NOTE: Your conf/bblayers.conf has been automatically updated.
ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
    Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker (see sanity.conf).
    Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

DISTRO 'fsl-imx-X11' not found. Please set a valid DISTRO in your local.conf

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

Could you please help me with the following:

1. For time being , I would like to build the image with minimal filesystem to boot, ie., when I give "core-image-minimal" it is throwing the above error

2. Could you please let me know, is there anything that needs to be changed in the below command, so that it can only build minimal BSP images with Uboot, linux kernel and minimal rootfs to get the shell prompt or please let me know if am making anything or my understanding is wrong

"DISTRO=fsl-imx-X11 MACHINE=imx6ull14x14evk source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-x11"

3. And later, could you please let me know how this can be switched from "core-image-minimal" to "core-image-base" and "fsl-image-machine-test" using the the above command with necessary changes

I have attached the logs for your reference also with the file named "logs"

Many Thanks in advance again

0 Kudos

srishan
Contributor III

Dear I.MX Community,

Could you please provide your inputs w.r.t the above queries, as I am stuck with the above from past two days

Many Thanks in advance

Awaiting for your replies

0 Kudos