cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUI Performance Improvement on I.MX 6 SoloX with QT 5.6.3

chintanchoksi
Contributor I

Hello,

We have developed I.MX6 SoloX based custom board for our product. The processor variant is not having any GPU.

we have rendered graphics using QT 5.6.3 + Wayland + Weston compositor. We have enabled libgles3-mesa-dev libgl-mesa-dev package for graphics rendering. Screen resolution is 800x480.

We have been facing GUI sluggishness issues and low FPS during scrolling. Can anyone help us to optimize the GUI performance?   

Any Wayland, weston configuration might help for better performance ?

Following western.ini file for reference.

core]
#gbm-format=argb8888
idle-time=0
#use-g2d=1
#xwayland=true

#[shell]
#size=1920x1080

#[output]
#name=HDMI-A-1
#mode=1920x1080@60
#transform=90

#[output]
#name=HDMI-A-2
#mode=off
# WIDTHxHEIGHT Resolution size width and height in pixels
# off Disables the output
# preferred Uses the preferred mode
# current Uses the current crt controller mode
#transform=90

[screen-share]
command=@bindir@/weston --backend=rdp-backend.so --shell=fullscreen-shell.so --no-clients-resize

[shell]
panel-position=none
panel-location=""

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello chintanchoksi,

i.MX6SX has several different part numbers, two of which support GPU. why not select a part number which supports GPU.  It is very hard to improve GUI performance only through software.

--Extended Commercial

pastedImage_1.png

---Industrial

pastedImage_2.png

Hope these information is helpful to you.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos

chintanchoksi
Contributor I

thanks Wigros Sun for response.

In ideal world, I would have preferred GPU base variant of I.MX 6. We have a common SoM module across product line. and our production team doesn't want to change as it will affect other products.

I was able to develop GUi with QT 5.6.3 and got it working with mesa and wayland western. everything else seems to be working as per expectation. Only concern we have is at "Scrolling" feature on GUI. It looks very bad. I want to take it to 10 to 12 FPS. With my current Applications, Average CPU usage is approximately 10 to 15 percent. I am okay with CPU going up to 40 percent. Is there any way to trade-off CPU usage for better GUI performance?. 

Thanks,

Chintan

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Chintan,

>>Is there any way to trade-off CPU usage for better GUI performance?. 

Unfortunately, we don't have the related solution.

You can try to change configuration in westion.ini, But I am not sure whether this modification can achieve your goal.

Here is the link for detailed descriptions of weston.ini.

Ubuntu Manpage: weston.ini - configuration file for Weston - the reference Wayland compositor 

Hope it is helpful to you.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos