cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU passthrough with QEMU/KVM on i.MX8QM

Empage
Contributor I

Hello everyone,

I use the i.MX8QM running a Linux host which in turn starts multiple Linux VMs using libvirt/qemu/KVM. This system is build with yocto.

I am able to use the GPUs on the host system. Now I was wondering whether it is possible to pass the GPUs to a VM (with our T2 hypervisor qemu/KVM). I have a hard time finding relevant documentation stating whether this is possible at all or not. Couldn't find anything from NXP and other resources usually talk about doing this on Intel or ARM systems using PCI passthrough. The block diagram (https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX8QMAEC.pdf) shows that the GPUs are attached to the internal SSI bus so I assume it works in another way, if at all.

Can you tell me if this could work at all and if yes, point me into the right direction?

Thanks,

Matthis

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Empage,

i.MX8QM GPU could be passed through to a VM using XEN. We have internally not tried KVM VFIO, but technically it should be ok to passthrough GPU to a KVM VM.

Regards.

Empage
Contributor I

Hello Bio_TICFSL,

thanks for your answer. Ok, I will try to do the passthrough with KVM VFIO. I was worried that this is different due to this SSI bus.

0 Kudos